Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Yaroslav Tkachenko <sa...@gmail.com> on 2019/03/12 04:01:24 UTC

[DISCUSS] KIP-440: Extend Connect Converter to support headers

Hello,

I'd like to propose a KIP that extends Kafka Connect Converter interface:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-440%3A+Extend+Connect+Converter+to+support+headers

Thanks for considering!

--
Yaroslav Tkachenko
sap1ens.com

Re: [DISCUSS] KIP-440: Extend Connect Converter to support headers

Posted by sa...@gmail.com, sa...@gmail.com.
Hi Randall,

Sorry, I was away. Just started a vote a few minutes ago.

Posted by Randall Hauch <rh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Konstantine Karantasis <ko...@confluent.io>.

Posted by Randall Hauch <rh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Randall Hauch <rh...@gmail.com>.

wrote:

> [...]
> > > is

> > > make
> > > proposal
> that.
> specify
> > > that
> with
> > > the
> > > will
> > > existing

> > > sapiensy@gmail.com>

> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-440%3A+Extend+Connect+Converter+to+support+headers

Re: [DISCUSS] KIP-440: Extend Connect Converter to support headers

Posted by sa...@gmail.com, sa...@gmail.com.
Hi Konstantine, Randall,

As you can see in the updated Converter interface, it always operates on `org.apache.kafka.common.header.Headers`.

WorkerSinkTask simply uses Kafka message headers and passes them to the `toConnectData` method.

WorkerSourceTask leverages header converter to extract RecordHeaders, which implements Headers interface. Then RecordHeaders are passed to the `fromConnectData` method.

Posted by Randall Hauch <rh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Konstantine Karantasis <ko...@confluent.io>.
Thanks for the KIP Yaroslav!

Posted by Randall Hauch <rh...@gmail.com>.