Posted to log4cxx-dev@logging.apache.org by Tommi Mäkitalo <to...@epgmbh.de> on 2004/12/17 00:12:59 UTC

empty lines between log-messages

Hi again,

why there is a empty line between each log-message? Here is how the output of
example/trivia looks like:

tommi@nurmi:~/Projekte/logging-log4cxx/examples> ./trivial
0 [-1768770976]  root trivial context - debug message

0 [-1768770976]  root trivial context - info message

0 [-1768770976]  root trivial context - warn message

0 [-1768770976]  root trivial context - error message

0 [-1768770976]  root trivial context - fatal message

tommi@nurmi:~/Projekte/logging-log4cxx/examples>

Another funny thing is, that the thread-id is negative.

Tommi

Re: empty lines between log-messages

Posted by Tommi Mäkitalo <to...@epgmbh.de>.
Am Freitag, 17. Dezember 2004 01:07 schrieb Curt Arnold:
> On Dec 16, 2004, at 5:12 PM, Tommi Mäkitalo wrote:
> > Hi again,
> >
> > why there is a empty line between each log-message? Here is how the
> > output of
> > example/trivia looks like:
>
> Looks like I probably added a \n that didn't need to be there.  This
> should cause a test failure when I'm able to run more than a few tests
> without crashing.

I found the \n (or better std::endl). Here is the patch.

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@houston.rr.com>.
On Dec 16, 2004, at 5:12 PM, Tommi Mäkitalo wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> why there is a empty line between each log-message? Here is how the
> output of
> example/trivia looks like:

Looks like I probably added a \n that didn't need to be there.  This
should cause a test failure when I'm able to run more than a few tests
without crashing.

On Dec 16, 2004, at 5:12 PM, Tommi Mäkitalo wrote:

[Switching to Thread 182914822752 (LWP 19695)]
0x0000002a960af733 in std::operator<< <wchar_t,
std::char_traits<wchar_t>,
std::allocator<wchar_t> > ()
    from /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.5

A segfault in a std::basic_string() default constructor is a sign that
something went seriously wrong sometime before that call.  You can't
really figure it out from the call site.  Hopefully it will go away
after I start knocking off problems in the test suite.

That anything works at the moment is just a coincidence.  Only when I
get the test suite passing all tests will I concern myself with new
implementation problem reports.  The primary reason that I committed
before passing all the tests was to get feedback on the API.  Obviously
I would now like to get the thing stable again, but it isn't there yet.