Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Simon Weller <sw...@ena.com> on 2015/08/20 20:41:29 UTC

SDN solutions in use today with CloudStack

Hi all,

We  are currently exploring options for improving our networking setup (read SDN) within CS for our advanced zones.

There are a few plugins currently available for various third party SDN providers (Nicira, Big Switch VNS, MidoNet, Stratosphere SSP, Nuage VSP  et al), as well as some pre-SDN functionality using native VXLAN, OVS GRE and of course vlans.

Most of the organizations mentioned above appear to have drunken the OpenStack kool-aid and don't even mention support for CloudStack on their commercial websites.

It seems that some of these plugins are getting rather old now and I'd be interesting to know (if you're willing to share) what is in use in the community today.

- Si

Re: SDN solutions in use today with CloudStack

Posted by Remi Bergsma <RB...@schubergphilis.com>.
We use it with hundreds of XenServers (currently 6.2) and KVM hypervisors on CentOS 7. Open vSwitch does the magic. We did upgrade ovs to a more recent version, though.

Regards, Remi

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Zaeem Arshad <za...@gmail.com>.
Thanks.

Posted by Simon Weller <sw...@ena.com>.
Zaeem,

Posted by Zaeem Arshad <za...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Simon Weller <sw...@ena.com>.
Thanks guys.

We've seen a lot of reports of MidoNet as well, but I haven't seen them discussed much on the list.
I haven't heard of anyone using GRE. We have experimented in our lab with VXLAN on KVM and it seems to work.

- Si

Posted by Simon Weller <sw...@ena.com>.
<snip>
>The others I have never tried. Really wondering if anyone is using GRE in CloudStack?

Just FYI. There was a post today on the user lists where someone was attempting to setup GRE, so it appears it is probably out there.

- Si

Posted by Remi Bergsma <RB...@schubergphilis.com>.
Hi Simon,