Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Pascal Echevest <pa...@experian-scorex.com> on 2002/03/27 09:03:12 UTC

gzip compression

I've developped a HTTP client which is able to send to a servlet HTTP
requests with gzip compressed data.
So, the servlet reads the gzipped stream, does its tasks and sends back
a result as a gzipped stream to the client.
This works fine with two other Web server/Application server couples but
not with Apache 1.3.23 and Tomcat 4.0.2.
The servlet in that case doesn't recognize the GZIP compression format
when it tries to open
a GZIPInputStream on the incoming stream (the exception raised is "Not
in GZIP format")

The HTTP request sent by the HTTP client to the Web Server is :
POST /webProxy HTTP/1.1  Host: myWebServer:80  Accept-Encoding: x-gzip

The Content-Length value corresponds to the compressed stream length.

I wondered if the AddEncoding directive, in the Apache configuration
file, could be at the origin of this problem
but this directive, according to the documentation, seems to be applied
only to compressed files,
with a suffix, not to octet-streams (actually it is defined like that in
the httpd.conf: AddEncoding x-gzip gz tgz)

Does anyone have an idea ? Is it an Apache or a Tomcat configuration
problem ?
Does Tomcat properly handle gzip octet-streams or does it wait another
kind of POST request ?

Thanks,
Pascal