Posted to users@servicemix.apache.org by Pavel Tavoda <pa...@gmail.com> on 2010/11/11 18:57:39 UTC

Big picture

Hello,
I read nearly all important materials about ServiceMix (4) but I can't
find big picture for big deployment of ServiceMix. Let's say I'm at
begging of writing applications (about 4-5 applications) which I would
like to integrate very flexible way. Application alone will be single
purpose but with different type of integration you can achieve
interesting results. I don't know how to apply ServiceMix in it.
Services have to be fault tolerant (same service running on multiple
physical servers) and scalable. I would like to also have one central
brain with one configuration which will decide what to do and how to
integrate (of course this central brain have to be also fault
tolerant).

My idea was to use strong messaging (ActiveMQ) with Event Drive
Programming for services. And than having "orchestration" layer which
will run BPEL, Rules, ... and only transform messages from one service
for other services. Important questions for me:
- Because I have no heterogeneous environment and I'm going to write
application from scratch do I need ServiceMix?
- Should I run ServiceMix in every node of my network and deploy
services inside?
- Should I run application in OSGi runtimes (or any other runtime) and
have only one ServiceMix instance for orchestration (my central
brain)?
- Should I run ServiceMix only on border of my system just to
integrate with rest of universe?
- What is best architecture for this purpose?

I would like to have flexible runtime environemt, flexibility in
deployment, and simple reconfiguration of orchestration layer.
I feel lost, thank you for your responses.

Pavel

Re: Big picture

Posted by Chris Custine <ch...@gmail.com>.
The entire Slideshare site is having issues, keep trying...  :-(
--
Chris Custine
FuseSource - Open Source Integration:: http://fusesource.com

Re: Big picture

Posted by Adrian Trenaman <tr...@progress.com>.
Hi Pavel,

I guess for me, the thing is that ServiceMix *is* an umbrella project
for Karaf, ActiveMQ, Camel and CXF. If you wish, you can start with a
vanilla Karaf container, and then configure all your stuff in; the nice
thing about ServiceMix is that we handle all that packaging. The
ServiceMix project also provides lots of OSGi-ified bundles that you may
need in your work; and, importantly, it provides the ServiceMix NMR
(different  from the XML-based JBI NMR!) as some additional smarts for
allowing bundles to communicate with each other beyond OSGi service
references.

James Strachan made a nice comment on this mailing list that ServiceMix
has done an excellent job of making its components very modular - you
can use them by themselves, or you can use them all together.

Guillaume will have more to say in terms of the queue. I know he's
working on some stuff around Activiti BPMN. There's also ongoing work on
improving the core, improving support for OSGi blueprint in Camel, there
some packaging stuff for easy deployment I'm working on (if I get more
time!), and a whole lot more.

Cheers,
Ade.

--
Adrian Trenaman, Sr. Principal Solution Architect
FuseSource

Re: Big picture

Posted by Pavel Tavoda <pa...@gmail.com>.

RE: Big picture

Posted by Gabriela Gheorghe <ga...@disi.unitn.it>.
Hi Adrian,

Unfortunately it seems the link doesn't really work, could you post it again
please?

Thank you!

Best,
Gabriela