Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Rick McGuire <ri...@gmail.com> on 2010/04/05 14:43:48 UTC

SNAPSHOT dependencies in Geronimo 3.0

Ok, the completed email that I accidentally sent out earlier.

Since we're targetting an M1 release of Geroinimo 3.0, we need to be
taking a close look at the snapshot dependencies we have in the
release.  Here is what I believe is the complete list of current
snapshot dependencies.  We have way fewer external snapshot dependencies
than I actually believed, so this might not be too bad, even if we need
to release some of these from external.  It helps a little that we're
already using released versions of OpenJPA and jetty8.

Here's a breakdown by category:

non-Geronimo controlled releases:

Tomcat 7 (which we currently have an external release for because we
have some patches that have not be accepted by the Tomcat community),
openejb, pax logging, xbean, myfaces, and felix.

It should be easy to push out an xbean release, openejb just had a
release, and might be reluctant to push a new one so soon after the last
one.  I'm not sure if the latest release can be used for Geronimo or
not.  I suspect not, since there has been a bit of recent work on
getting openejb to run in 3.0.  myfaces and pax logging I'm not sure
about.  Does anybody have connections to these communities strong enough
to ask about a release?  What is the current state of the felix and
karaf projects?  Would it be possible to get new releases in the next
couple of weeks?

Another big category is Aries, which is currently attempting to put out
their first release.  There's a good chance this will happen in time for
the 3.0 milestone release.  This is probably the biggest dependency,
since a major goal of this milestone is to get feedback on the OSGi
application features.

And finally, we have one servicemix bundle dependency that's in snapshot
state.  Hopefully, we can get a release pushed for this.  As a fallback,
we could just add another subproject to geronimo-bundles to cover this.

Geronimo specs:

We need new releases of almost all of these to pick up the new OSGi
support.  We probably should put these up for a vote by early next week
at the latest.   Do we need to have a separate vote for each spec, or
can we do a group vote on this?  Also, the javamail uber jar will need a
release vote.

Geronimo components:

We need releases for connector, transaction, and jaspic.  In taking a
look at these, I discovered that these jars a building using the java ee
5 versions of apis and providers (e.g., stax, jaxb).  I suspect these
really should be upgraded.  Also, the dependencies tend to be non-bundle
versions of a lot of the jars.  I suspect these should really be using
the bundle versions.

Geronimo bundles:

The framework has bundle versions of a number of common components.
This is part of the Geronimo build tree, and thus these are not released
separately.  However, these bundle versions look like they should be
getting used in other places (e.g., components, possibly xbean).  This
seems to argue that they should be moved out the geronimo tree to
possibly components or maybe their own top-level tree as peers to
components/external etc.

Here is what I believe is the current list of snapshot dependencies.

Tomcat:   7.0.0.0-SNAPSHOT.  This is a version build in the geronimo
external, so we release this largely concurrent with the server release.
openejb:   3.1.3-SNAPSHOT:  I believe we've had some patches and
modifications above and beyond the most recent openejb release.
xbean:  3.7-SNAPSHOT:   The Geronimo community controls the release of
this.
transaction manager:  3.0-SNAPSHOT :   Under the control of the Geronimo
community.
pax logging:  1.4.1-SNAPSHOT:   I'm not sure what the release procedures
are in the PAX community or how often they make new release available.
myfaces:  2.0.0-SNAPSHOT

Felix:
     main
     bundlerepository:  1.5.0-SNAPSHOT
     karaf main:  1.5.0-SNAPSHOT
     karaf console:  1.5.0-SNAPSHOT
     karaf client:  1.5.0-SNAPSHOT
     framework:  2.1.0-SNAPSHOT

Aries:  all at 0.1-incubating-SNAPSHOT level
    org.apache.aries.jndi.core
    org.apache.aries.jndi.url
    org.apache.aries.jmx
    org.apache.aries.blueprint
    org.apache.aries.blueprint.api
    org.apache.aries.blueprint.core
    org.apache.aries.blueprint.cm

All of the Geronimo specs have new versions, which can be released prior
to creating the new release.  To the best of my knowledge, all of these
are in a state where they can be released.

    geronimo-osgi-registry
    geronimo-osgi-locator
    geronimo-activation_1.1_spec
    geronimo-annotation_1.1_spec
    geronimo-atinject_1.0_spec
    geronimo-cpp_1.0_spec
    geronimo-ejb_3.1_spec
    geronimo-interceptor_1.1_spec
    geronimo-jaxb_2.0_spec
    geronimo-j2ee-connector_1.6_spec
    geronimo-javaee-deployment_1.1MR3_spec
    geronimo-jacc_1.1_spec
    geronimo-jaspic_1.0_spec
    geronimo-javamail_1.4_spec
    geronimo-jaxr_1.0_spec
    geronimo-jaxrpc_1.1_spec
    geronimo-jaxrs_1.1_spec
    geronimo-jaxws_2.2_spec
    geronimo-jcdi_1.0_spec
    geronimo-jsp_2.2_spec
    geronimo-el_2.2_spec
    geronimo-servlet_1.1_spec
    geronimo-jpa_2.0_spec
    geronimo-validation_1.0_spec
    geronimo-annotation_1.1_spec
    geronimo-ws-metadata_2.0_spec
    geronimo-saaj_1.3_spec
    geronimo-stax-api_1.2_spec

    Also the geronimo-javamail_1.7_mail bundle needs to be released.

The geronimo schema projects:

    geronimo-schema-jee5
    geronimo-schema-j2ee_1.4
    geronimo-schema-javaee_6

The geronimo components releases

    geronimo-connector
    geronimo-transaction
    geronimo-jaspi

Servicemix bundles

    org.apache.servicemix.bundles.jdt-core

Re: SNAPSHOT dependencies in Geronimo 3.0

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Apr 5, 2010, at 9:46 AM, Jarek Gawor wrote:

> Rick,
>
> There are a few more snapshot dependencies in trunk:
>
> org.apache.ws.scout,
> org.apache.juddi,

I think I got these projects to osgi-enable their latest releases so they may be usable.  I also don't think we need to build the geronimo jaxr and uddi support for the milestone.  I'm sure we won't get the latest juddi to work in an ee server by may.

> org.apache.activemq,

this may be tough to get to a release.  Maybe we can use 5.3.1.... more chance of that.

> org.apache.portals.pluto
Portals is working on releasing this more or less now.  I expect a vote this week.

Posted by Jarek Gawor <jg...@gmail.com>.
Rick,

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
The geronimo-cpp_1.0_spec has never been near a tck.  It's needed for pluto 2.  I thought I'd requested the tck on jcp-open but don't seem to have.  I guess we should?

thanks
david jencks