Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> on 2006/11/08 12:03:06 UTC

About STATUS file (was: Next 2.x release)

Steve Brewin wrote:
> Danny Angus wrote:
>
> Can we not just give Danny's idea a try? We really need to find a way to cut
> out all of this noise.

That's what Im doing :-)
I already updated the STATUS when I wrote that message.

> Quite honestly, I can't be arsed to wade though threads to determine who
> said what to who and when.

I happy that you are on the listeners of that file. I wrote that message
to understand who was interested in it apart Danny. It was not indended
as an insult to Danny or any refusal to do that from me.

> I don't care whether its the status file or a wiki page (which should only
> editable by committers). I do care that we have a clear and visible
> direction recorded that has been decided by committer votes.

Ok, I'm interested understanding this opinions, because I would work
better on a wiki page for this kind of things. That's another reason for
my message.

> I hate to think of the time people have wasted in these and similar
> discussions that might more productively have been spent in moving James
> forward. Its true that to move forward we need a consensus on goals. Once
> achieved, we use the status file to publish them.

The hard part, unfortunately, is not recording it, but having a real
consensus. I'm having real problem creating a consensus around something
to collaborate upon for a goal, and when I think I did it I understand
that I'm probably on the wrong line.

> It really shouldn't be this painful.

No it isn't.
Maybe I'll change my confidence on the role of the STATUS file when
others but me and Danny will update it and when it will "mean" something
to me, too!

Danny said about me "arguing" about the branches status:
"people who are driving out decisions will have more record keeping to
do, thats just life I'm afraid."
I want to make it clear that I'm not lead/owner of any branch now, and I
fill the PMC driven that decisions about branches, not me.

I have no problems updating the STATUS for things I think I
understand/know/overview of, but I really would like to see more people
involved in this because it seems to me that someone think that I'm
doing what I want on James, and this is not really the case: most time I
do what james needs, and what the PMC agreed, and this is much different
from what I would like to do on James.

What about adding to the STATUS a per-committer space where anyone
update (and add a "last-udpated" date) the personal goals?
------
Stefano Bagnara:
     - Committed to fix bugs for 2.3.1
     - Trying to keep updated james website, JIRA mantenaince
     - Trying to coordinate efforts for next-major
     - Working on the following list of issues for *next-major*:
       JAMES-52 8bitmime capabilities missing
       JAMES-595 artifacts names james => james-server
       JAMES-675 Add search-domain configurability to DNSServer
       JAMES-676 disable override of default resolver/cache in DNSServer
     - Optional mid-term issues:
       JAMES-134 JAMES-241 JAMES-288 Read/write streaming of data to db
       JAMES-491 SpoolManager refactorings
     - In the long term:
       JAMES-520 Create a RemoteDelivery service
       full DSN support
-----
You,
-----
Steve Brewin:
     - Currently busy, not active on code.
     - Partecipate on organizational and mentoring issues
-----
Maybe we should limit the list to the short term (releasable in 2.3.1,
next-minor or next-major) efforts.

I would remove generic data like "Project Mission", "Assets", "PMC
Members", "Committers" because all of this is already recorded in
different places and the file would start to be too big.

WDYT?

Stefano

Re: About STATUS file (was: Next 2.x release)

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com>.
On 11/8/06, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:
> What about adding to the STATUS a per-committer space where anyone
> update (and add a "last-udpated" date) the personal goals?
> ------
> Stefano Bagnara:
>      - Committed to fix bugs for 2.3.1
>      - Trying to keep updated james website, JIRA mantenaince
>      - Trying to coordinate efforts for next-major
>      - Working on the following list of issues for *next-major*:

Don't like. This only keeps others from doing this, even if the person
signed here is not doing it at all.

>        JAMES-52 8bitmime capabilities missing
>        JAMES-595 artifacts names james => james-server
>        JAMES-675 Add search-domain configurability to DNSServer
>        JAMES-676 disable override of default resolver/cache in DNSServer
>      - Optional mid-term issues:
>        JAMES-134 JAMES-241 JAMES-288 Read/write streaming of data to db
>        JAMES-491 SpoolManager refactorings
>      - In the long term:
>        JAMES-520 Create a RemoteDelivery service
>        full DSN support

I would like better if we keep JIRA for all this information because
it is intended to do exactly that.

> Steve Brewin:
>      - Currently busy, not active on code.
>      - Partecipate on organizational and mentoring issues
> -----

Such information is already proven on a daily basis by activity on
mailing lists etc. and likely to become outdated.

> I would remove generic data like "Project Mission", "Assets", "PMC
> Members", "Committers" because all of this is already recorded in
> different places and the file would start to be too big.

+1

  Bernd

Re: About STATUS file

Posted by Norman Maurer <nm...@byteaction.de>.
Bernd Fondermann schrieb:
> On 11/8/06, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:
>> What about adding to the STATUS a per-committer space where anyone
>> update (and add a "last-udpated" date) the personal goals?
>> ------
>> Stefano Bagnara:
>>      - Committed to fix bugs for 2.3.1
>>      - Trying to keep updated james website, JIRA mantenaince
>>      - Trying to coordinate efforts for next-major
>>      - Working on the following list of issues for *next-major*:
>
> Don't like. This only keeps others from doing this, even if the person
> signed here is not doing it at all.
I don't agree.. If the person don't have time he should just remove the
issue from the status file..

>>        JAMES-52 8bitmime capabilities missing
>>        JAMES-595 artifacts names james => james-server
>>        JAMES-675 Add search-domain configurability to DNSServer
>>        JAMES-676 disable override of default resolver/cache in DNSServer
>>      - Optional mid-term issues:
>>        JAMES-134 JAMES-241 JAMES-288 Read/write streaming of data to db
>>        JAMES-491 SpoolManager refactorings
>>      - In the long term:
>>        JAMES-520 Create a RemoteDelivery service
>>        full DSN support
>
> I would like better if we keep JIRA for all this information because
> it is intended to do exactly that.
Agree .. Maybe we should just add the link to jira ?

>> Steve Brewin:
>>      - Currently busy, not active on code.
>>      - Partecipate on organizational and mentoring issues
>> -----
>
> Such information is already proven on a daily basis by activity on
> mailing lists etc. and likely to become outdated.
I like Stefanos idea.. It whould also be usefull if the commiter add a
comment if he is unreachable etc. Like holidays etc..

>> I would remove generic data like "Project Mission", "Assets", "PMC
>> Members", "Committers" because all of this is already recorded in
>> different places and the file would start to be too big.
>
> +1
+1

>  Bernd

bye