Posted to user@spark.apache.org by habitats <ma...@habitats.no> on 2016/02/04 21:58:52 UTC

Recommended storage solution for my setup (~5M items, 10KB pr.)

Hello

I have ~5 million text documents, each around 10-15KB in size, and split
into ~15 columns. I intend to do machine learning, and thus I need to
extract all of the data at the same time, and potentially update everything
on every run.

So far I've just used json serializing, or simply cached the RDD to dick.
However, I feel like there must be a better way.

I have tried HBase, but I had a hard time setting it up and getting it to
work properly. It also felt like a lot of work for my simple requirements. I
want something /simple/.

Any suggestions?

Re: Recommended storage solution for my setup (~5M items, 10KB pr.)

Posted by Nick Pentreath <ni...@gmail.com>.
If I'm not mistaken, your data seems to be about 50MB of text documents? In which case simple flat text files in JSON or CSV seems ideal, as you are already doing. If you are using Spark then DataFrames can read/write either of these formats.

For that size of data you may not require Spark. Single-instance scikit-learn or VW or whatever should be ok (depending on what model you want to build).

If you need any search & filtering capability I'd recommend elasticsearch, which has a very good Spark connecter within the elasticsearch-hadoop project. It's also easy to set up and get started (but more tricky to actually run in production).

PostgresSQL may also be a good option with its JSON support.

Hope that helps

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Patrick Skjennum <ma...@habitats.no>.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.