Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Fernando Mato Mira <ma...@gmail.com> on 2006/09/19 16:30:03 UTC

Applying filter re-searches?

Hello,

  I am looking a bit at the source code and there's something that's
puzzling me. It looks like filtering a query reexecutes it, but this
time applying the filter. Not applying the filter to some results
stored with the query.
  If this is true, I fail to see the point of having filters, instead
of just building a bigger query.

Thanks

Re: Applying filter re-searches?

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
:   I am looking a bit at the source code and there's something that's
: puzzling me. It looks like filtering a query reexecutes it, but this
: time applying the filter. Not applying the filter to some results
: stored with the query.
:   If this is true, I fail to see the point of having filters, instead
: of just building a bigger query.

the main advantage is that Filter's don't affect the scores of the Query
itself.  A secondary advantage is that a Filter can be cached, so that
the computation necceessary for complex Filter can be done only once --
that wouldn't be possible with most Query types.

(there are also some changes in the works that will allow a Searcher to
look at what is matched by the Filter and skip scoring matches to the
Query that the Filter will weed out -- but this is just a hypothetical
benefit that doesn't exist yet)

:
: Thanks
: