Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Mark <me...@gmail.com> on 2005/02/22 20:40:34 UTC

gzip compression on HTML

Hi there,

I am fairly new to Struts and was wondering how to configure a struts
application to use gzip compression on the HTML which is served back
to the browser? This is fairly simple to do with regular servlets, but
I haven't been able to find any information on how to do this with a
struts app. Any advice or pointers would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

cheers,
Mark

Re: gzip compression on HTML

Posted by Ulrich Elsner <ul...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

the real question is whether you really need your your application to
handle compression. Compression is normally independant from the
application and should be handled on another layer.
I would delegate this task to the HTTP-Server (e.g., using mod_gzip on
apache) or, if for some reason this is not possible, at least to the
application server (see e.g.
http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2003/11/19/filters.html ).

Regards,

Ulrich Elsner