Posted to dev@continuum.apache.org by ArneD <pu...@degenring.de> on 2007/03/20 12:21:22 UTC

Towards full ClearCase integration

Hi Emmanuel,

after SCM-287 has been applied, I still see the following problem with the
Maven/Continuum and ClearCase integration.

The ClearCase implementation of the checkout command for ClearCase creates a
ClearCase snapshot view. Such a snaphsot view is very similiar to a CVS or
Subversion checkout directory, but one major difference is the directory
structure. To make it clear, consider the following example:

Consider you have checked out the project MY_VOB/my/project to
d:\continuum-work\167:
- When working with CVS or SVN, you would find the POM file at
d:\continuum-work\167\pom.xml.
- With ClearCase, the location would be
d:\continuum-work\167\MY_VOB\my\project\pom.xml. This means that the
directory structure within the configuration management system, is repeated
in every view (checkout directory). AFAIK it is not possible to change this
ClearCase behaviour.

This leads to the following problems:
- After adding a project to Continuum, the build cannot be performed because
the POM file cannot be found. The build definition has to be changed
manually, so that the POM file location is e.g. "MY_VOB/my/project/pom.xml"
instead of "pom.xml".
- The maven-release-manager performs a clean checkout from a tag to the
target/checkout directory, and then runs the build in that checkout
directory. Same problem here, it would have to be run in e.g.
"target/checkout/MY_VOB/my/project" instead of just "target/checkout".

One solution could be to add an attribute to CheckOutScmResult that contains
the path of the project directory relative to the checkout directory. By
default, it would be "" or "./" (could be a String or java.io.File or
whatever fits best). But the ClearCaseCheckOutCommand could set e.g.
"MY_VOB/my/project" instead. (Notice that this would only be possible with
auto-generated config specs as introduced by SCM-287).

Continuum and maven-release-manager (as well as other users of
ScmProvider.checkout) should pay attention to this relative path attribute
accordingly.

Let me know what you think. I can file a JIRA issue if you want.

Regards
- Arne

Re: Towards full ClearCase integration

Posted by ArneD <pu...@degenring.de>.

Jason van Zyl-2 wrote:

> Arne,
>
> Do you have any plans for ClearCase UCM?
>
> Jason.

No, sorry, I don't. I am doing this for a customer who is using ClearCase
SCM, but not UCM. Currently they use ClearCase dynamic views together with
scm-local. But they want to have the full ClearCase (SCM) integration to be
able to use the Maven-Release plugin, and server-side releases (as soon as a
Continuum 1.1 release that supports it has been published).

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
Arne,

Posted by ArneD <pu...@degenring.de>.

Emmanuel Venisse wrote:

> I'll look at them, thanks. But for Maven-SCM diiscussion, I'd prefer to do
> it on scm-dev@maven.apache.org

Oh, sorry, I wasn't aware that there's a scm-dev list. The reason is that I
am using nabble.com, and scm-dev doesn't seem to be listed there... I'll ask
the Nabble guys to get it added.

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@venisse.net>.
I'll look at them, thanks. But for Maven-SCM diiscussion, I'd prefer to do it on scm-dev@maven.apache.org

I'll try to stage the new site somewhere, but not now.

Emmanuel

Posted by ArneD <pu...@degenring.de>.
Emmanuel,

I filed the following issue. Could you please have a look at it:

http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/SCM-288

Thanks
- Arne

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@venisse.net>.