Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by St...@r2isante.fr on 2000/10/17 12:04:57 UTC

Réf. : RE: A happy unsubscriber

> > I am very worried, however, that you - as an ASF-member, and using that
> > identity (email address) in this - take to this kind of behaviour to
see
> > how a project is going, and I sincerely believe that you have done more
> > damage than good in this.  Were you speaking on your own behalf, or did
> > you have the entire ASF behind you in this venture?
> Well I sincerely am very happy he took this kind of behaviour. I share
> his opinions on the poor state of the community building process. I also
> think it is not fair to criticize him like you do and others did. He
> tried to fix somthing he saw was wrong. Pretty normal and very useful I
> think.
>
> --
>
> Neil de Hoog

I disagree. Observing if a community continues to function well under all
kinds of circumstances is ok, but to trying provoke people to see if the
community is stable enough is just not way you handle this kind of
situation. It was obvious that some people got fed up with the constant
message overload about a subject this list isn't meant for. I know several
unsubscribed from the list because they didn't want to be bothered anymore.
And you think that is a GOOD thing? I personally don't think it was very
constructive.

-Tako

I totally agree with you Tako !
As a simple user of Xerces, I was suprised and shocked by the messages I've
seen for two weeks. It has brought me to think for a while that my decision
of making my company using Xerces was wrong because of the instability of
its team. (Honestly, I was thinking of trying another parser with my
products...)
Now, I realize that that was just a little shake (hum...) but the method is
really disturbing for everybody.

Now, my opinion is that Xerces is a very good parser with obviously very
good developpers and I appreciate especially the reactivity of the team for
:
- new features or new standars
- bug reports
- questions of users (nebie question or very technical ones.)

So thanks for your job.

Posted by Brad O'Hearne <br...@careerpath.com>.
Tako and Stephane,

I have to cast another vote your way as well.  While I wasn't familiar with
all of the issues, I offered to contribute if they needed more developers,
to continue moving Xerces forward.  Quite honestly, I'd think twice before
having anything to do with it now -- nothing personal against any particular
person -- I am sure all meant well, but I have better things to do than get
involved with pot that gets stirred for the sake of one (or several)
person's satisfaction.  That doesn't sound much like "open development",
where one person or small group of people in authority can enter at any time
and tip over the wagon just to guage the response -- sounds more like a
performance evaluation.

Anyway, I guess it makes me rethink my decision to base any critical XML
work on a Xerces parser...I may just write my own.  Seriously, nothing
personal, but I don't want to base serious apps on the mood du jour of an
XML club (which is kind of what this reminds me of).

JMHO

Brad

> > I am very worried, however, that you - as an ASF-member, and using that
> > identity (email address) in this - take to this kind of behaviour to
see
> > how a project is going, and I sincerely believe that you have done more
> > damage than good in this.  Were you speaking on your own behalf, or did
> > you have the entire ASF behind you in this venture?
> Well I sincerely am very happy he took this kind of behaviour. I share
> his opinions on the poor state of the community building process. I also
> think it is not fair to criticize him like you do and others did. He
> tried to fix somthing he saw was wrong. Pretty normal and very useful I
> think.
>
> --
>
> Neil de Hoog

I disagree. Observing if a community continues to function well under all
kinds of circumstances is ok, but to trying provoke people to see if the
community is stable enough is just not way you handle this kind of
situation. It was obvious that some people got fed up with the constant
message overload about a subject this list isn't meant for. I know several
unsubscribed from the list because they didn't want to be bothered anymore.
And you think that is a GOOD thing? I personally don't think it was very
constructive.

-Tako

I totally agree with you Tako !
As a simple user of Xerces, I was suprised and shocked by the messages I've
seen for two weeks. It has brought me to think for a while that my decision
of making my company using Xerces was wrong because of the instability of
its team. (Honestly, I was thinking of trying another parser with my
products...)
Now, I realize that that was just a little shake (hum...) but the method is
really disturbing for everybody.

Now, my opinion is that Xerces is a very good parser with obviously very
good developpers and I appreciate especially the reactivity of the team for
:
- new features or new standars
- bug reports
- questions of users (nebie question or very technical ones.)

So thanks for your job.

Stéphane RAULT
R2I - Développement
8, rue du blanc