Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Jeffrey Dever <js...@sympatico.ca> on 2003/02/14 10:06:54 UTC

release process for alpha3

Hello all,
I'm trying to fine tune the release process for HttpClient.  In
particular, what is packaged and how.  I would like to simplify and
minimize the release package.  Please comment as I would like to do
somthing like this for the pending alpha3 build this weekend.

For the last build I just used the maven defaults which creates 4
packages: a source and a binary tree compressed with tar.gz and zip.  I
think that this is quite inefficient.  The binary jar is small and is
really the only thing that differentiates between the source package.
 Also there is no need for both tar.gz and zip.  Lets face it: any
platform that supports zip will support tar.gz.  The users of HttpClient
are programmers which will be able to handle either compression method
on their desktops.

I just want to provide a single release package.  This package would
contain most everything in cvs, plus the generated api and website.
 Some exceptions would be some of the unmaintained files (like
PROPOSAL.html), the xdocs which would be unneeded, and the maven stuff
which is not widely used at the moment.

This single release package would be put on the usual jakarta and apache
release sites plus the jar file which would be put on ilibibo for maven use.

Requirements for a release package:
-can use out of the box
-has complete documentation
-can compile the src/java tree out of the box (with ant)
-has the apache license
-only contains apache products governed by the license
-can compile and run the tests (with libraries present)

Here is a sample directory tree:

LICENSE.txt
build.properties.sample
build.xml
docs/
       api/
src/
    conf/
    examples/
    java/
    test/
    test-webapp/
lib/
    commons-httpclient.jar
    commons-logging.jar

Re: release process for alpha3

Posted by Ryan Hoegg <rh...@isisnetworks.net>.
Mike Bowler wrote:

> Ryan Hoegg wrote:
>
>> The reason is that I want to support people who already have the
>> httpclient library, but also streamline adoption by people who don't.
>> That means making a jar available that they can download, drop in the
>> classpath, and forget about.  I am currently leaning towards pointing
>> users to the HttpClient download page instead of including a
>> binary-only release on our page.
>
> Is there a reason you can't just point them to the binary only release
> that's in the maven repository?
>
> http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/commons-httpclient/jars/

No, that sounds like a great idea.

Carry on with your release plan. :)

--
Ryan Hoegg
ISIS Networks

Re: release process for alpha3

Posted by Mike Bowler <mb...@GargoyleSoftware.com>.
Ryan Hoegg wrote:
> The reason is that I want to support people who already have the
> httpclient library, but also streamline adoption by people who don't.
> That means making a jar available that they can download, drop in the
> classpath, and forget about.  I am currently leaning towards pointing
> users to the HttpClient download page instead of including a binary-only
> release on our page.

Is there a reason you can't just point them to the binary only release
that's in the maven repository?

http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/commons-httpclient/jars/

--
Mike Bowler
Principal, Gargoyle Software Inc.
Voice: (416) 822-0973 | Email  : mbowler@GargoyleSoftware.com
Fax  : (416) 822-0975 | Website: http://www.GargoyleSoftware.com

Re: release process for alpha3

Posted by Ryan Hoegg <rh...@isisnetworks.net>.
Hi Jeffrey,

As a representative of a project that wants to embed this library in our
app and is dealing with options for including the httpclient.jar or
requiring a separate download, I would like to request a release package
that includes only the binaries.  No source, no javadoc, no tests, no
build scripts.

The reason is that I want to support people who already have the
httpclient library, but also streamline adoption by people who don't.
 That means making a jar available that they can download, drop in the
classpath, and forget about.  I am currently leaning towards pointing
users to the HttpClient download page instead of including a binary-only
release on our page.

--
Ryan Hoegg
Apache XML-RPC / http://ws.apache.org/xmlrpc