Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Julius Davies <ju...@gmail.com> on 2009/07/27 03:08:20 UTC

[codec] - CODEC-59 and CODEC-81

I have a patch ready for CODEC-59, but I'm going to wait until
CODEC-81 is either accepted or rejected first, since there's a bit of
conflict between these two patches, and my brain is not working well
enough right now to sort these issues out ahead of time.

CODEC-81 is an actual bug-fix for TRUNK / 1.4-RC2 so I'd be surprised
if it wasn't accepted in some shape or form, whereas the CODEC-59
patch will be an enhancement.

--
yours,

Julius Davies
250-592-2284 (Home)
250-893-4579 (Mobile)
http://juliusdavies.ca/logging.html

Re: [codec] - CODEC-59 and CODEC-81

Posted by Julius Davies <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Gary,

I just attached a [CODEC-59] patch that I think I'm finally happy
with.  This one is based on trunk as of right now.

I've also added a private reset() call that encode() and decode()
always call just before they start their operation.  The reset() makes
this kind of usage possible:

Base64 b64 = new Base64();
b64.encode(someThing);
b64.encode(someOtherThing);

Unfortunately the [CODEC-81] patch made this impossible (re-using same
Base64 object for different encodes or decodes).   Note:  Base64's
static methods are thread safe, but the instance methods are not.  If
we decide to leave [CODEC-59] out of a 1.4 release, I'll create a
separate ticket just for this reset() issue.

yours,

Julius

Posted by Gary Gregory <GG...@seagullsoftware.com>.

Posted by Julius Davies <ju...@gmail.com>.