Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Dev LFM <de...@gmail.com> on 2022/08/04 13:21:03 UTC

Re: Board report for June 2022 has been submitted

Hi all,

Despite the lack of activity, I just wanna say that I do currently
maintain some complex apps made with Flex sdk and adobe air. The biggest
issue I had was to embed adobe air x64 and build it for new apple silicon,
which I must say it haves a great performance on m1 chip. My apps
despite +7 years old, still look modern (thanks to the skin I made
https://github.com/rui-cruz/Spark-Material) and customers don't complain at
all.

So my question is, what does this move means for the future of the apps I
maintain?

Just a side note: Have u guys ever considered to implement rxjs? Or just
promises and the async prefix?

kind regards to all,
Rui Cruz

Olaf Krüger <ok...@apache.org> escreveu no dia quinta, 9/06/2022 à(s)
06:41:

Re: Flex compiler updates..

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
flex-asjs and falcon moved to Royale, but the rest of the links seem to work.

We should probably update the site to get rid of those two links.

Being a release manager is really just going through the build steps, signing artifacts and starting a vote. You have to be willing/able to fix issues that come up in the voting process. A heads up before the release so any tasks that might be done beforehand is advisable.

https://infra.apache.org/release-publishing.html <https://infra.apache.org/release-publishing.html>

Re: Flex compiler updates..

Posted by "Frost, Andrew" <An...@Harman.com.INVALID>.

Re: Flex compiler updates..

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.

Flex compiler updates..

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
Good to hear!

> Just a side note: Have u guys ever considered to implement rxjs? Or just
> promises and the async prefix?

I’ve toyed with the idea of implementing rxjs, but I haven’t yet encountered a use case compelling enough for me to want to learn and implement it…

Royale supports Promises.

There’s been no discussion yet about adding async/await to AS3.

Personally, I’ve used Promises as well as async/await pretty extensively in JS code and I’m not a fan. I believe it to be an anti-pattern. Promises area a horrible syntax and await needs to be wrapped in a try/catch. To me that’s code smell.

The pattern I’ve been using *very* extensively recently is one I call AyncTasks. It unabashedly uses callbacks, but the lifecycle is very standardized, lends itself to strongly typed results and is really easy to use.

https://github.com/apache/royale-asjs/blob/develop/frameworks/projects/Core/src/main/royale/org/apache/royale/utils/async/AsyncTask.as