Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Alan Pearce <al...@talktalk.net> on 2017/01/31 10:37:17 UTC

Drag and Drop in a Spreadsheet

Something seems to have changed in recent times. I can no longer click on a cell and simply drag the contents to a new cell. If I play around long enough I can sometimes make it work. It has become quicker to cut and paste. Please can someone tell me the correct procedure?

Thanks,
Alan.

Re: Drag and Drop in a Spreadsheet

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 10:37 31/01/2017 +0000, Alan Pearce wrote:
>Something seems to have changed in recent times.

Possibly not.

>I can no longer click on a cell and simply drag the contents to a
>new cell. [...] Please can someone tell me the correct procedure?

You will know that you can do this very easily for a range of more
than one cell, but the technique does not lend itself to a single
cell. Note that if you select multiple cells, the range ends up
highlighted and it is this highlighted range that is moved or copied
by drag and drop. The problem is that if you click on a single cell,
you move focus to that cell but do not highlight it. You need to find
a way to highlight a single cell and your problem will be solved.
Here are some techniques:

o Click the cell to move focus to it. Shift+click the cell to
highlight it. Drag and drop.

o Click the cell to move focus to it. Ctrl+click the cell to
highlight it. Drag and drop.

o Click the cell to move focus to it. Drag the mouse to a
neighbouring cell until both are highlighted. Without releasing the
mouse, drag back to the original, single cell - leaving it alone
highlighted. Release the mouse. Drag and drop.

This last technique sounds complicated but is probably the easiest to use.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

Re: Drag and Drop in a Spreadsheet

Posted by Dave <no...@tasit.net>.