Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Henrik Gustafsson <he...@telepo.com> on 2004/10/28 17:34:00 UTC

401 from the Authentication Framework

I'm happily using the Authentication Framework to control access
and presentation of my site. The authorization data is fetched from
radius and a quite complex authentication session context is used.

One of the protected resources is fetched by a device that expect
to get a 401 and cannot handle  the form based login.

Is it possible to configure a handler in the authentication manager
to send a 401 instead of doing a redirect? I do not like to put the
authentication of this resource in the web.xml configuration of the
container, since then I would not be able to reuse the Radius
Authenticator that is creating the session context .

If this is not possible, I would like some pointers where to modify
or what type of component could be used to plug in support
for 401.

Or, should I stop using the Authentication Framework and do
all authentication in the container configuration? I do not like to
have it in two different places. I do understand the argument that
authentication is a typical task for the container, but it is very
convenient to have full control in the sitemap.

/Henrik Gustafsson

Re: 401 from the Authentication Framework

Posted by Henrik Gustafsson <he...@telepo.com>.
I tried that but that is still generating a 302 to the pipeline

sending 401. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

The redirect-to uri is "cocoon:/login" and the pipeline is:

<map:match pattern="login">

  <map:generate src="docs/error.html"/>
  <map:serialize status-code="401"/>

<map:match>

Should I use something else to make the redirect

handled internally?

I guess, my problem is quite unusual since most HTTP clients

can handle 3xx status codes, but I did solve it by adding a

challenge element with a realm attribute to the authentication

handler config.

If the challenge element is used instead of the redirect-to

element the AuthenticationManager will use the redirector to

send a 401 on the auth-protect action instead of sending a 302.

Right now I'm only generating a basic challenge but that is

alright for me since the radius authentication is using chap and

that requires the password in clear text anyway.

I would really like to use something in cocoon without patching

it, that would be preferred. But if that is not possible, could I

configure which AuthenticationManager I would like to use?

Right now I'm patching the DefaultAuthenticationManager,

that is not beautiful, I would rather have my own auth manager

configured in the cocoon.xconf.

/Henrik Gustafsson

Posted by Ralph Goers <Ra...@dslextreme.com>.
Henrik,