Posted to marketing@cloudstack.apache.org by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com> on 2013/03/28 03:39:46 UTC

Linux.com's article

Another one:

http://www.linux.com/news/enterprise/cloud-computing/711234-cloudstack-ups-enterprise-credibility-with-apache-top-level-status

I especially appreciated this article, because Stephen O'Grady and Jay
Lyman said things that I think are both complementary and appropriate.
As much as we want to make our voices heard, I'm a *stong* proponent of
staying positive and being complementary of similar OSS projects.  The
OpenStack Foundation, for example, is doing great work.  We can continue
to include Swift storage as a valuable secondary storage plugin option,
and perhaps we'll find ways to take advantage of other work going on
there.  The same goes for OpenNebula.  Frankly, I hope that we can pick
back up on the little bit of momentum Sebastian seemed to have started
to get ACS and the Open Nebula market place working together.

Jay's quotes were also very similar to the verbal discussion we had this
morning.  I think that smart analysts like these two are the ones that
we want to continue to foster relationships with.

Yes, perhaps this opinion feeds some of the trolls out there (I've seen
several people comment that we sounded to "friendly", which is
apparently a bad thing), but I see it as a position of strength for our
community.

Sorry about a little bit of a rambling email there, but the thoughts
above can be generalized into how I see us continuing to craft messages
around our project:  user focused and willing OSS collaborators.

-chip

Re: Linux.com's article

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.
On Wed, Mar 27, 2013, at 09:39 PM, Chip Childers wrote:
> Yes, perhaps this opinion feeds some of the trolls out there (I've seen
> several people comment that we sounded to "friendly", which is
> apparently a bad thing), but I see it as a position of strength for our
> community.

Where've you seen trolling that we're too friendly?

Frankly, I've never liked it when OSS projects snipe at one another.
Having more than one option is healthy. The "enemy," if there is one,
are the proprietary options.

Best,

jzb
--
Joe Brockmeier
jzb@zonker.net

Re: Linux.com's article

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 10:59 PM, Musayev, Ilya <im...@webmd.net> wrote:
> Chip,
>
> Really like the article and awesome work you and others do on promoting CS.
>
> Speaking of Secondary storage, I imagine this going to be asked quite frequently, can we support any other secondary store other than NFS backed > ssvm?

In 4.1 you can use any Swift or S3-compatible object stores, fronted
by NFS to serve as a cache..

> Would you have any insight? Can we make secondary store totally independent of NFS?

John Burwell was working on eliminating the NFS dependency for 4.2,
might ask him for status on dev@.

RE: Linux.com's article

Posted by "Musayev, Ilya" <im...@webmd.net>.
Chip,

Really like the article and awesome work you and others do on promoting CS.

Speaking of Secondary storage, I imagine this going to be asked quite frequently, can we support any other secondary store other than NFS backed ssvm?

Would you have any insight? Can we make secondary store totally independent of NFS?

Thanks
ilya