Posted to dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> on 2006/02/05 09:52:11 UTC

[RESULT] [VOTE] Release Jackrabbit version 0.9

Hi,

On 2/2/06, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Please vote on releasing these packages as Jackrabbit version 0.9. The
> vote is open for the next 72 hours, and only the votes from Jackrabbit
> committers are considered binding. The vote  passes if at least three
> +1 votes are cast.
>
> [ ] +1 Release the proposed packages as Jackrabbit 0.9
> [ ] -1 Do not release the packages because...

The vote passes with 7 binding +1 votes and no -1 votes. One
non-binding +1 vote was also cast. The votes were:

Binding votes (Jackrabbit PPMC):

    +1 Jukka Zitting
    +1 Stefan Guggisberg
    +1 Dominique Pfister
    +1 Peeter Piegaze
    +1 Serge Huber
    +1 Marcel Reutegger
    +1 David Nuescheler

Non-binding votes:

    +1 Chandresh Turakhia

Thanks for all the votes! I will now proceed to request approval from
the Incubator PMC.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Software craftmanship, JCR consulting, and Java development

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Jackrabbit version 0.9-incubating

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
+1 from me.

Posted by Bill Dudney <bd...@mac.com>.
+1 (non binding)
I got the code from the 0.9 branch in svn, and ran all the unit
tests, no failures

Re: [RESULT] Release Apache Jackrabbit version 0.9-incubating

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On 2/14/06, Roy T. Fielding <fi...@gbiv.com> wrote:
> I have copied the release files to the only location we have right
> now for incubating jars, namely
>
>    http://cvs.apache.org/repository/org.apache.jackrabbit/jars/
>
> which is a maven repository.

OK, thanks.

> I am not sure what to do next in terms of updating our website.

I can take care of updating the web site and sending the official
release announcement.

Posted by Alexandru Popescu <th...@gmail.com>.
#: Jukka Zitting changed the world a bit at a time by saying (astral date: 2/15/2006 9:17 AM) :#
> Hi,
>
> On 2/15/06, Alexandru Popescu <th...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Is there a tag in SVN for the released version? If not, what is the revision for the built that
>> represents the 0.9 release?
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/jackrabbit/tags/0.9/
>
> BR,
>
> Jukka Zitting

> Software craftmanship, JCR consulting, and Java development

Thanks Jukka.

And team, congrats for the release !

./alex
--
.w( the_mindstorm )p.

Re: [RESULT] Release Apache Jackrabbit version 0.9-incubating

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Alexandru Popescu <th...@gmail.com>.
#: Jukka Zitting changed the world a bit at a time by saying (astral date: 2/15/2006 12:01 AM) :#
> Hi,
>
> On 2/14/06, Roy T. Fielding <fi...@gbiv.com> wrote:
>> I have copied the release files to the only location we have right
>> now for incubating jars, namely
>>
>>    http://cvs.apache.org/repository/org.apache.jackrabbit/jars/
>>
>> which is a maven repository.
>
> I rearranged the files a bit. I left the jar files in place in the
> cvs.apache.org maven repository and added the poms in ../poms. The
> full release is now available at
> http://cvs.apache.org/dist/incubator/jackrabbit/0.9-incubating/.
>
> BR,
>
> Jukka Zitting

> Software craftmanship, JCR consulting, and Java development

Is there a tag in SVN for the released version? If not, what is the revision for the built that
represents the 0.9 release?

tia,

./alex
--
.w( the_mindstorm )p.

Re: [RESULT] Release Apache Jackrabbit version 0.9-incubating

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On 2/14/06, Fabrizio Giustina <fg...@apache.org> wrote:
> http://cvs.apache.org/repository should be a proper maven repository
> for snapshots and test releases, not mirrored anywhere. The official
> repository for PMC approved releases is instead at
> www.apache.org/dist/java-repository (maven1) or
> www.apache.org/dist/maven-repository (maven2) and they are synced to
> ibiblio and mirrored.

I think that there is a policy against publishing incubating releases
in the official Apache maven repositories.

> I also suggest you to publish to the maven2 repo, with m2 poms, since
> now the maven 2 repository is the master and having m2 poms with
> dependency scopes in place is important for users. If needed I could
> help with this providing converted poms for the release.

That would be great!

Posted by Fabrizio Giustina <fg...@apache.org>.
On 2/14/06, Roy T. Fielding <fi...@gbiv.com> wrote:
> I have copied the release files to the only location we have right
> now for incubating jars, namely
>
>    http://cvs.apache.org/repository/org.apache.jackrabbit/jars/
>
> which is a maven repository.

mh, I don't think that's a correct location for those files if they
are not actual "maven artifacts"... sources jar should not be in the
"jars" directory and pom files are missing.

http://cvs.apache.org/repository should be a proper maven repository
for snapshots and test releases, not mirrored anywhere. The official
repository for PMC approved releases is instead at
www.apache.org/dist/java-repository (maven1) or
www.apache.org/dist/maven-repository (maven2) and they are synced to
ibiblio and mirrored.

Those jars should probably not be published there and maybe an
appropriare maven release should be added to the official repository
(renaming source jars and addings poms should be enough).
I also suggest you to publish to the maven2 repo, with m2 poms, since
now the maven 2 repository is the master and having m2 poms with
dependency scopes in place is important for users. If needed I could
help with this providing converted poms for the release.

cheers
fabrizio

Re: [RESULT] Release Apache Jackrabbit version 0.9-incubating

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.
With the following votes, the Apache Jackrabbit 0.9-incubating
release has been approved.

Binding votes (Jackrabbit PPMC):

     +1 Jukka Zitting
     +1 Stefan Guggisberg
     +1 Dominique Pfister
     +1 Peeter Piegaze
     +1 Serge Huber
     +1 Marcel Reutegger
     +1 David Nuescheler
     +1 Roy Fielding (Incubator PMC)
     +1 Davanum Srinivas (Incubator PMC)
     +1 Noel J. Bergman (Incubator PMC)

Non-binding votes:

     +1 Chandresh Turakhia
     +1 Bill Dudney

....Roy

[RESULT] Release Apache Jackrabbit version 0.9-incubating

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.
On Feb 10, 2006, at 8:19 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> Roy,
>
> Two things:
>
>   - I know that YOU checked the distribution, but the URL
>     for the packages being requested should still be provided.  :-)

Oh, crap, sorry -- I did mean to do that as well.

> I found http://people.apache.org/~jukka/jackrabbit/0.9-incubating/ by
> reading the mailing list archives.
>
>   - With respect to .jar files, I see that you placed the
>     license text there.  Should the Incubator notice also
>     be located there?

Hmm, good question -- we should be forcing the jar files to include
LICENSE and README near the top of the jar instead of just LICENSE at
the end.  I'll see if I can add that feature to maven.

> I did find the notice in the -src.jar files, and in the distribution
> directory.
>
> +1

Thanks,

....Roy

RE: [VOTE] Release Apache Jackrabbit version 0.9-incubating

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Release Jackrabbit version 0.9

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.
On Feb 10, 2006, at 12:44 AM, Jukka Zitting wrote:
> On 2/9/06, Roy T. Fielding <fi...@gbiv.com> wrote:
>> I did, but I have in my ~/.gnupg/gpg.conf:
>>
>>     keyserver subkeys.pgp.net
>>
>> which has a wider distribution than pgp.mit.edu (I thought MIT shut
>> that one down a long time ago).
>
> Now I got the signature. Thanks!
>
> The updated key is now available at
> http://people.apache.org/~jukka/jackrabbit/KEYS as well as in the svn
> root (rev. 376594).

Great.  BTW, I am +1 for incubating release, though I have not been able
to run the TCK against it.  This seems to be a problem with the TCK
itself (or my lack of java foo) rather than any bug in the release.
We'll get that figured out before 1.0.  In the mean time, I'll send
the request to general@incubator.

Thanks for the great work -- this is probably the cleanest initial
release I've ever seen at Apache (including the ones I RMed).

....Roy

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Release Jackrabbit version 0.9

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.
On Feb 9, 2006, at 1:51 AM, Jukka Zitting wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 2/8/06, Roy T. Fielding <fi...@gbiv.com> wrote:
>> I signed it. It is easier to just download it again using
>>
>>    gpg --recv-keys ID
>>
>> and it will fold-in new signatures automatically.  Then you can
>> export
>> as ascii again to update the KEYS file.
>
> Did you upload the signed key? At least pgp.mit.edu doesn't seem to
> have the signature.

I did, but I have in my ~/.gnupg/gpg.conf:

    keyserver subkeys.pgp.net

which has a wider distribution than pgp.mit.edu (I thought MIT shut
that one down a long time ago).

> (I may be missing something here, as I haven't used gpg much before.
> I'm sorry for my ignorance if this is the case.)

No worries -- this is absolutely normal for first time RMs, which is
why I am putting this discussion in the archive.  Once we get the
kinks out (for 0.9) the release will be smooth for 1.0.

....Roy

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Release Jackrabbit version 0.9

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On 2/8/06, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> No problem. I used the Maven dist goal as a starting point to building
> the releases, but binary and source jar files are just as good with
> me. I'll repackage in a short while.

Done. The repackaged 0.9-incubating release is now available at
http://people.apache.org/~jukka/jackrabbit/0.9-incubating/.

The original release directory I announced at the beginning of this
vote is available for reference at
http://people.apache.org/~jukka/jackrabbit/0.9-incubating-original/.

The repackaged release uses the exact same sources and binary jar
files as the original one. The only difference is in the packaging and
the fact that the KEYS file was moved up in the directory hierarchy. I
also made a minor change to the RELEASE-NOTES.txt to keep it up to
date with these changes. I committed these modifications as revision
375964.

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On 2/8/06, Roy T. Fielding <fi...@gbiv.com> wrote:
> Jukka, do you have any objections to trimming that down prior
> to asking the incubator PMC to approve a release?

No problem. I used the Maven dist goal as a starting point to building
the releases, but binary and source jar files are just as good with
me. I'll repackage in a short while.

I suppose there is no need to restart the release vote as long as no
source changes are made. I'll be happy to comply in case anyone feels
that a separate vote is needed.

> Also, please move the KEYS file up one level to the jackrabbit
> directory, update your key so that it includes my sigs, and add
> my key from the file /home/fielding/.pgpkey

Will do.

> I'll add my +1 when I can download the release jar, verify the sig,
> build from source, and check it passes the TCK tests.

Good. I've run the release against the included unit test suite (the
basis of the TCK) and a set of higher level functional tests
(proprietary, unfortunately) that I've got accumulated over time. I
however did *not* run the official TCK nor claim compliance for the
0.9 release to avoid legal issues with the TCK license (mainly the
audit costs of a possible dispute process). My plan (to be included in
the 1.0 release plan) is to ask Day to do the compliance testing for
the 1.0 release to avoid any complications.

PS. Any comment about the jar file/incubation notice issue raised on
general@i.a.o?

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.
On Feb 5, 2006, at 12:52 AM, Jukka Zitting wrote:

> On 2/2/06, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Please vote on releasing these packages as Jackrabbit version 0.9.
>> The
>> vote is open for the next 72 hours, and only the votes from
>> Jackrabbit
>> committers are considered binding. The vote  passes if at least three
>> +1 votes are cast.
>>
>> [ ] +1 Release the proposed packages as Jackrabbit 0.9
>> [ ] -1 Do not release the packages because...
>
> The vote passes with 7 binding +1 votes and no -1 votes. One
> non-binding +1 vote was also cast. The votes were:
>
> Binding votes (Jackrabbit PPMC):
>
>     +1 Jukka Zitting
>     +1 Stefan Guggisberg
>     +1 Dominique Pfister
>     +1 Peeter Piegaze
>     +1 Serge Huber
>     +1 Marcel Reutegger
>     +1 David Nuescheler
>
> Non-binding votes:
>
>     +1 Chandresh Turakhia
>
> Thanks for all the votes! I will now proceed to request approval from
> the Incubator PMC.

I know this is a bit late, and I have no objection to the vote itself,
but could we please chop this release down to what is necessary? AFAIK,
Java projects don't need .zip and .tar artifacts -- everything can
be distributed as jars.  There should be one src jar and one binary jar
per artifact.  In other words, instead of

0.9-incubating
|-- KEYS
|-- RELEASE-NOTES.txt
|-- bin
|   |-- jackrabbit-0.9-incubating.tar.gz
|   |-- jackrabbit-0.9-incubating.tar.gz.asc
|   |-- jackrabbit-0.9-incubating.tar.gz.md5
|   |-- jackrabbit-0.9-incubating.zip
|   |-- jackrabbit-0.9-incubating.zip.asc
|   |-- jackrabbit-0.9-incubating.zip.md5
|   |-- jcr-rmi-0.9-incubating.tar.gz
|   |-- jcr-rmi-0.9-incubating.tar.gz.asc
|   |-- jcr-rmi-0.9-incubating.tar.gz.md5
|   |-- jcr-rmi-0.9-incubating.zip
|   |-- jcr-rmi-0.9-incubating.zip.asc
|   `-- jcr-rmi-0.9-incubating.zip.md5
|-- jar
|   |-- jackrabbit-0.9-incubating.jar
|   |-- jackrabbit-0.9-incubating.jar.asc
|   |-- jackrabbit-0.9-incubating.jar.md5
|   |-- jackrabbit-commons-0.9-incubating.jar
|   |-- jackrabbit-commons-0.9-incubating.jar.asc
|   |-- jackrabbit-commons-0.9-incubating.jar.md5
|   |-- jcr-rmi-0.9-incubating.jar
|   |-- jcr-rmi-0.9-incubating.jar.asc
|   `-- jcr-rmi-0.9-incubating.jar.md5
`-- src
     |-- jackrabbit-0.9-incubating-src.tar.gz
     |-- jackrabbit-0.9-incubating-src.tar.gz.asc
     |-- jackrabbit-0.9-incubating-src.tar.gz.md5
     |-- jackrabbit-0.9-incubating-src.zip
     |-- jackrabbit-0.9-incubating-src.zip.asc
     |-- jackrabbit-0.9-incubating-src.zip.md5
     |-- jcr-rmi-0.9-incubating-src.tar.gz
     |-- jcr-rmi-0.9-incubating-src.tar.gz.asc
     |-- jcr-rmi-0.9-incubating-src.tar.gz.md5
     |-- jcr-rmi-0.9-incubating-src.zip
     |-- jcr-rmi-0.9-incubating-src.zip.asc
     `-- jcr-rmi-0.9-incubating-src.zip.md5

what we should be releasing is

0.9-incubating
|-- RELEASE-NOTES.txt
|-- jackrabbit-0.9-incubating.jar
|-- jackrabbit-0.9-incubating.jar.asc
|-- jackrabbit-0.9-incubating.jar.md5
|-- jackrabbit-commons-0.9-incubating.jar
|-- jackrabbit-commons-0.9-incubating.jar.asc
|-- jackrabbit-commons-0.9-incubating.jar.md5
|-- jcr-rmi-0.9-incubating.jar
|-- jcr-rmi-0.9-incubating.jar.asc
|-- jcr-rmi-0.9-incubating.jar.md5
|-- jackrabbit-0.9-incubating-src.jar
|-- jackrabbit-0.9-incubating-src.jar.asc
`-- jackrabbit-0.9-incubating-src.jar.md5

Jukka, do you have any objections to trimming that down prior
to asking the incubator PMC to approve a release?  Also, please
move the KEYS file up one level to the jackrabbit directory,
update your key so that it includes my sigs, and add my key
from the file /home/fielding/.pgpkey

I'll add my +1 when I can download the release jar, verify the sig,
build from source, and check it passes the TCK tests.

Cheers,

....Roy