Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Denis McLaughlin <de...@cyberus.ca> on 2004/07/21 06:53:52 UTC

partial deployments

Hi,

  Sorry if this topic has been discussed before, but I couldn't find
anything appropriate in the archives.

  I'm working with a fairly large project with about 60 generated
artifacts.  We're currently using CruiseControl to build hourly, and are
now looking to expand this by having CC call a goal which will build,
test using Cactus, and then deploy the artifacts to our internal
repository for ourselves and other related groups.  However, it seems to
me that because the multiproject:deploy goal deploys the artifacts as it
builds them, that it is susceptible to a partial deployment.  If the
deploy goal encounters a problem halfway through the deployment, then
the repository will contain some new and some old artifacts, and this
may lead to inconsistent results for other groups using those artifacts
from the repository.

  One possible solution would be to have the deploy goal deploy to a
temporary name, and then as the final step in the deployment, move all
the artifacts with the temporary name to the final name.  So, for
example, if I want to deploy all my artifacts as 1.0-SNAPSHOT, I would
instead deploy to 1.0-TEMP, and then, once the deploy has finished and
all the artifacts deployed, rename all the 1.0-TEMP artifacts in the
repository to 1.0-SNAPSHOT.

  Am I correct in thinking that this type of partial deployment can be a
problem?  Are there other methods to avoid this, or is there something
I'm missing?  Feedback quite welcome...

Denis

RE: partial deployments

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ap...@carlos.cousas.net>.
Hi,

It has already been discused the issue with partial downloading (should be
in Maven JIRA)

Please create an issue in JIRA under MPARTIFACT. It would be great if you
could attach a patch, that way it will be solved early.

Regards

Carlos Sanchez
A Coruña, Spain

Oness Project