Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rasmus Lerdorf <ra...@lerdorf.ca> on 2002/04/01 09:42:16 UTC

Drop md5 from htpasswd docs please

I am getting rather tired of answering questions on this one.  Could we
please drop this crap about htpasswd using md5.  A modified md5 is no
longer md5, so let's not call it md5 at all.  Over and over again people
ask me why md5($string) doesn't match what is in htpasswd-generated
password files.

-Rasmus

Re[2]: Drop md5 from htpasswd docs please

Posted by Daniel Lorch <da...@lorch.cc>.
Hi,

> Is it possible for whomever knows best to provide code or help to the
> PHP group and make a PHP <bsd|apache>_md5() function?  Or adapt the
> current PHP function w/ an additional attribute to select which type of
> hash to use?  md5($string, ..., HASH_NORM|HASH_BSD), it'd be very nice
> if the latter was accepted, I'm sure in the future there will be at
> least one more implementation of md5 to cope with.

how about contributing to mhash?

  http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.mhash.php

Daniel

Re: Drop md5 from htpasswd docs please

Posted by Rasmus Lerdorf <ra...@lerdorf.ca>.
Well, we don't need a whole lot of help to implment apache_md5 in PHP.  I
don't think I'd call it that though.  As far as I am concerned there is no
such thing as modified md5.  It is either md5 or it isn't.

-Rasmus

On Mon, 1 Apr 2002, David Ford wrote:

> Is it possible for whomever knows best to provide code or help to the
> PHP group and make a PHP <bsd|apache>_md5() function?  Or adapt the
> current PHP function w/ an additional attribute to select which type of
> hash to use?  md5($string, ..., HASH_NORM|HASH_BSD), it'd be very nice
> if the latter was accepted, I'm sure in the future there will be at
> least one more implementation of md5 to cope with.
>
> Thanks for listening,
> David
>
> Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:
>
> >I am getting rather tired of answering questions on this one.  Could we
> >please drop this crap about htpasswd using md5.  A modified md5 is no
> >longer md5, so let's not call it md5 at all.  Over and over again people
> >ask me why md5($string) doesn't match what is in htpasswd-generated
> >password files.
> >
> >-Rasmus

Re: Drop md5 from htpasswd docs please

Posted by di...@covalent.net.
Or we just add an extra flag to not just have the FreeBSD md5 password
format - but also the generic one.

Dw.

--
Dirk-Willem van Gulik