Posted to user@commons.apache.org by h2ooo x <tj...@hotmail.com> on 2004/11/18 09:59:36 UTC

How to start new project in Jakarta Commons?

Hi!

May I know how to propose and start a new project in Jakarta Commons?

Re: How to start new project in Jakarta Commons?

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On 18 Nov 2004, at 08:59, h2ooo x wrote:

> Hi!
>
> May I know how to propose and start a new project in Jakarta Commons?

first, the official rules:
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/charter.html

second, my personal perspective opinion on the jakarta commons cultural
interpretations of those rules: projects start in the sandbox (so their
progress can be assessed). any ASF committer is entitled to ask for
sandbox karma but karma is granted only to ASF committers. (you cannot
become an ASF committer - no matter how talented - through the
sandbox.) therefore, to have a chance of starting a jakarta commons
project, you either need to be an ASF committer or know a number (3,
ideally) of existing committers willing to develop the component in the
sandbox (over the period of months usually necessary to achieve
promotion).

third, some "where to go from here"'s: the right place for wannabe ASF
projects new-to-apache is the incubator (http://incubator.apache.org),
ask on their mailing lists; start your own project on
http://sourceforge.net/ but (assuming it's related and relevant) keep
hanging around in the commons; persuade the necessary number of ASF
committers to back your idea and develop it in the sandbox; help to
develop an existing and related commons component grow in the right
direction.

- robert