Posted to pluto-user@portals.apache.org by Paulo César Alvim Ottoni <al...@powerlogic.com.br> on 2009/07/01 17:20:45 UTC

How to configure "portal driver 2.0"

Hi,

I'm trying to embed a portlet JSR 268 (2.0) into a simple WAR following the FAQ:

http://portals.apache.org/pluto/faq.html#simple-embed

And following the "embedding instructions" for Pluto 2.0:

http://portals.apache.org/pluto/v20/embedding.html

But the instruction doesn't inform about how to configure the pluto portal driver (v. 2.0)... So I tried to copy the following JARs to my app WEB-INF/lib :

- pluto-portal-driver-impl-2.0.0.jar
- spring-*.jar (the 4 Spring JARs that Pluto 2.0 have in tomcat/lib)

The app throws an exception in the filter initialized:

26069 [main] INFO org.apache.pluto.driver.PortalStartupListener - Starting up Pluto Portal Driver. . .
01/07/2009 12:04:38 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext listenerStart
SEVERE: Exception sending context initialized event to listener instance of class org.apache.pluto.driver.PortalStartupListener
java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.apache.pluto.driver.PortalStartupListener.contextInitialized(PortalStartupListener.java:111)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerStart(StandardContext.java:3830)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:4337)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:791)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:771)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:525)

Anyone could help me to configure appropriate Pluto Portal Driver JARs in my app? Thanks a lot!

Paulo Alvim
Brazil

Paulo Alvim
Diretor de Tecnologia
Powerlogic SA
55 (31) 3555-0050

Re: How to configure "portal driver 2.0"

Posted by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com>.
The Pluto portal driver incorporates the pluto-testsuite.war's portlets, so
you might be able glean from the Pluto portal driver how it should be
incorporating your portlets by default.

I doubt you would want to put the pluto portal driver (the "driver" is the
webapp hosting the portlets, right?) in your portlet's WEB-INF folder, or
even reference the portal within your portlet WAR.  On the contrary, you
might want to modify the pluto portal driver's WAR to incorporate your WAR's
portlets, just as it presently incorporates the testsuite WAR's.

Alternatively, the Pluto portal driver's webapp has an Admin page where you
can dynamically incorporate portals from your portal WAR--so that's another
option for you.  The bottom of the deploying page can show you how to make
that addition persistent:
http://portals.apache.org/pluto/v20/deploying.html

I think the embedding page you're referencing is for if you want to create
Portal generation software like Jetspeed, not really your purposes here.
Also, Jetspeed has a Portal/Portlet tutorial that might help you:
http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-2/tutorial/index.html

Glen

Posted by Paulo César Alvim Ottoni <al...@powerlogic.com.br>.
I think is probably a missing Spring file (I don't know Spring). The PortalStartupListener line is:

LOG.debug(" [1a] Loading DriverConfiguration. . . ");
DriverConfiguration driverConfiguration = (DriverConfiguration)
springContext.getBean("DriverConfiguration");

Paulo Alvim
Diretor de Tecnologia
Powerlogic SA
55 (31) 3555-0050