Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Arvin Zheng <zm...@gmail.com> on 2020/07/06 17:38:24 UTC

[DISCUSS] Include min.insync.replicas in MetadataResponse to make Producer smarter in partitioning events

Hi everyone,

I would like to start the discussion for KIP-637
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-637%3A+Include+min.insync.replicas+in+MetadataResponse+to+make+Producer+smarter+in+partitioning+events

Looking forward to your feedback.

Thanks,
Arvin

[DISCUSS] KIP-637 Include min.insync.replicas in MetadataResponse to make Producer smarter in partitioning events

Posted by Arvin Zheng <zm...@gmail.com>.
Updated the subject to add KIP number

Arvin Zheng <zm...@gmail.com> 于2020年7月6日周一 上午10:38写道:

Re: [DISCUSS] Include min.insync.replicas in MetadataResponse to make Producer smarter in partitioning events

Posted by Colin McCabe <cm...@apache.org>.
Hi Arvin,

Thanks for the KIP.

Unfortunately, I don't think this makes sense since it would increase the amount of data we send back in the metadata response, which is pretty bad for scalability.  In general we probably want to avoid the case where we don't have the appropriate number of in-sync replicas, not try to optimize for it.

best,
Colin