Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Bhathiya Jayasekara <to...@gmail.com> on 2013/11/20 18:15:42 UTC

How to set Cassandra config directory path

Hi all,

I'm trying to set conf directory path to Cassandra. According to [1], I can
set it using a system variable as *cassandra.config=<directory> *

 But it doesn't seem to work for me when I give conf directory path. I get
following exception.

*[2013-11-20 22:24:38,273] ERROR
{org.apache.cassandra.config.DatabaseDescriptor} -  Fatal configuration
error*
*org.apache.cassandra.exceptions.ConfigurationException: Cannot locate
/home/bhathiya/cassandra/conf/etc*
* at
org.apache.cassandra.config.DatabaseDescriptor.getStorageConfigURL(DatabaseDescriptor.java:117)*
* at
org.apache.cassandra.config.DatabaseDescriptor.loadYaml(DatabaseDescriptor.java:134)*
* at
org.apache.cassandra.config.DatabaseDescriptor.<clinit>(DatabaseDescriptor.java:126)*
* at
org.apache.cassandra.service.CassandraDaemon.setup(CassandraDaemon.java:216)*
* at
org.apache.cassandra.service.CassandraDaemon.activate(CassandraDaemon.java:446)*
* at
org.wso2.carbon.cassandra.server.CassandraServerController$1.run(CassandraServerController.java:48)*
* at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)*
*Cannot locate /home/bhathiya/cassandra/conf/etc*
*Fatal configuration error; unable to start server.  See log for
stacktrace.*

I noticed when I gave the path directly to cassandra.yaml, it works fine.
Can't I give the directory path here, as mentioned in the doc?

What I really want to do is to give the cassandra-topology.properties path
to Cassandra.

[1]
http://www.datastax.com/documentation/cassandra/1.2/webhelp/index.html#cassandra/tools/toolsCUtility_t.html

Thanks,
Bhathiya

Re: How to set Cassandra config directory path

Posted by Aaron Morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>.
> I noticed when I gave the path directly to cassandra.yaml, it works fine. Can't I give the directory path here, as mentioned in the doc?
Documentation is wrong, the -Dcassandra.config param is used for the path of the yaml file not the config directory.

I’ve emailed docs@datastax.com to let them know.

> What I really want to do is to give the cassandra-topology.properties path to Cassandra.
Set the CASSANDRA_CONF env var in cassandra-in.sh

Cheers

Aaron Morton
New Zealand
@aaronmorton