Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Michael <mg...@earthlink.net> on 2003/05/06 17:06:21 UTC

[users@httpd] New User

Good Morning,

I have just finished installing Apache for Windows 98 SE and I am trying
to make it work as an internal server. By this, I mean there will be no
Apache connection to the Internet; it will be used exclusively for
internal web site testing of SSI and PHP scripting.

I followed the install instructions leaving the default settings as they
were, made the required modifications to the httpd.conf file, and tried
to start Apache. Nothing happens, there is no indication that Apache is
running. The Apache system status window appears on the desktop when the
Apache icon in the system task bar is clicked, but the Apache system
status windows are empty of any content.

Using the instructions to manually start Apache results in a MSDOS black
window blank of any content.

Now I am lost in the land of the Apache. Either I have missed something
during the install, or I have incorrectly configured Apache, or I dont
know where to start Apache correctly.

I recognize I have one limiting factor in my experience with servers, I
may be confusing some Unix/Linux, MS Windows, and Apache command syntax
in attempting to get Apache to serve internal web pages.

Is there anyone who could take the time and effort to walk me through
the process of getting Apache to start and serve web pages on this stand
alone PC?

Thanks,

Michael Gordon

--
Character is doing the right thing...
Even when no one is watching...

Re: [users@httpd] New User

Posted by Razvan Costea-Barlutiu <cb...@laitek.com>.
>Success!  I now have Apache running my web pages from my local host.
>
>Thank you very much for spending your time helping me resolve this problem.
>
>Sincerely,

I'm glad I could help you. I forgot to mention... the Apache runtime
activity is ALL mentioned in the logs so there's the information you have
expected to appear on display.

--Razvan

Re: [users@httpd] New User

Posted by Michael <mg...@earthlink.net>.
On 5/8/03 10:37 AM, Razvan Costea-Barlutiu:

> At 10:20 08.05.2003 -0500, you wrote:
>
>> The document root is set to: DocumentRoot "c:/Program Files/Apache
>> Group/Apache2/htdocs"
>

> That's the absolute path of the Apache root. Apache basically will
> extract the path from your URL (what follows the <ServerName>
> directive), apply the aliases & stuff - rewriting if necessary - and
> will map the url to the path:
> <DocumentRoot>/path/extracted/by/Apache.
>

>> Listen 80
>>
>> The problem is when I want to test a web page or web site located in
>> c:\WebSites\Armadollowweb\index.html  I either get no command
>> instructions in the MSDOS black box, or if I open IE IE opens the web
>> page index as if it is looking at
>> c:\WebSites\Armadollowweb\index.html from the address line.
>

> I am not an expert web-admin, only a novice so please allow me an
> amount of error on this. I think you should set your DocumentRoot to
> point to C:\WebSites rather than the program-files path you're having.
> Also, set the ServerName to its default: ServerName localhost.
> Further, to access your site on the local host, by:
> localhost\Armadollowweb\index.html will hopefully do the trick, as far
> as I can tell.
>
> Be sure to set the proper options for the directories, something like
> (anybody can bash me if I'm wrong!):
> <Directory />
>     options all
>     order deny,allow
>     AllowOverride None
>     allow from 127.0.0.1
> </Directory>
>
> If it is only for internal use, I don't think you'd need any extra
> options to be set in per-directory configurations. Setting the root
> will do.
>
> One more thing. The apache window won't display nothing in all its
> run. that's mainly because the stdin/stdout is used by apache for
> piping to CGis (and SSI?).
>
> HTH,
> --Razvan

Hello Razvan,

Re: [users@httpd] New User

Posted by Razvan Costea-Barlutiu <cb...@laitek.com>.

Re: [users@httpd] New User

Posted by Michael <mg...@earthlink.net>.
On 5/8/03 10:02 AM, Razvan Costea-Barlutiu:

>>> Using the instructions to manually start Apache results in a MSDOS
>>> black window blank of any content.
>>

> That's how Apache looks when you're starting it from the command line.
> Sounds just fine to me. Have you set the document root and all that?
> What exactly IS your problem?
>
> --Razvan

Hello Razvan,

Thank you for your interest, as you can read I am at my wits end and
almost ready to quit and uninstall.

The document root is set to: DocumentRoot "c:/Program Files/Apache
Group/Apache2/htdocs"

Listen 80

The problem is when I want to test a web page or web site located in
c:\WebSites\Armadollowweb\index.html  I either get no command
instructions in the MSDOS black box, or if I open IE IE opens the web
page index as if it is looking at c:\WebSites\Armadollowweb\index.html
from the address line.

I know that Apache is not serving the page because there is a SSI
directive in the page that will not display the SSI text.  My online web
host is running Apache and displays the SSI text.

Re: [users@httpd] New User

Posted by Razvan Costea-Barlutiu <cb...@laitek.com>.

Re: [users@httpd] New User

Posted by Michael <mg...@earthlink.net>.
On 5/6/03 10:06 AM, Michael:

> Good Morning,
>
> I have just finished installing Apache for Windows 98 SE and I am
> trying to make it work as an internal server. By this, I mean there
> will be no Apache connection to the Internet; it will be used
> exclusively for internal web site testing of SSI and PHP scripting.
>
> I followed the install instructions leaving the default settings as
> they were, made the required modifications to the httpd.conf file, and
> tried to start Apache. Nothing happens, there is no indication that
> Apache is running. The Apache system status window appears on the
> desktop when the Apache icon in the system task bar is clicked, but
> the Apache system status windows are empty of any content.
>
> Using the instructions to manually start Apache results in a MSDOS
> black window blank of any content.
>
> Now I am lost in the land of the Apache. Either I have missed
> something during the install, or I have incorrectly configured Apache,
> or I dont know where to start Apache correctly.
>
> I recognize I have one limiting factor in my experience with servers,
> I may be confusing some Unix/Linux, MS Windows, and Apache command
> syntax in attempting to get Apache to serve internal web pages.
>
> Is there anyone who could take the time and effort to walk me through
> the process of getting Apache to start and serve web pages on this
> stand alone PC?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Michael Gordon

Well gentlemen I must say goodbye, my post has gone un-answered, I am
unable to get Apache to respond, and I have run out of time trying to
make it work as an internal server for testing cgi, perl, and SSI
applications.

I have read, reread, and reread again the documentation on your web site
and I still do not understand how to make Apache serve my internal web
pages.

Good luck to all of you who do understand this valuable tool.

Sincerely,

Michael Gordon