Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Steve Delaney <ye...@verizon.net> on 2005/07/26 03:42:18 UTC

Newbie Virtual Host Question

Help! I'm sure my problem boils down to simple syntax, but I've been
wrestling with it for days so its time to ask...

I'm running a default installation of Tomcat 5.5.9 on Windows XP purely for
development/training purposes. As a matter of principal I like to keep all
my data separate from my other files, so my web sites are all stored under
C:\Data\CurrentProjects\ProjectName. All I want to do is to configure Tomcat
to see these sites in their current location rather than deploy them into
the Tomcat file structure, but I can't seem to get it edited correctly in
the server.xml file. For now these are basic web sites with some SSI and
CGI. I had this all running smoothly with an earlier version of Tomcat, but
hardware problems wiped out that configuration and I can't seem to get it
working again.

I've edited my hosts file to reference my local development sites, but the
best I've been able to manage so far is to get my own site address to return
the default Tomcat pages. Everything else returns some variation of a "page
not found" error. An example of the correct Virtual Host definition
(context/apBase/docBase syntax, and anything else I might be missing) to
point Tomcat at sites in another directory (under Windows) would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks