Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by maureen tanuwidjaja <au...@yahoo.com> on 2007/02/08 05:21:30 UTC

Is there any way to optimize existing unoptimized index?

Hi,

  May I also ask wheter there is a way to use writer.optimize() without indexing the files from the beginning?

  It took me about 17 hrs to finish building an unoptimized index(finish  when I call IndexWriter.close() ).I just wonder wheter this existing  index could be optimized...

  THanks and Best Regards,
  Maureen

---------------------------------

Re: Is there any way to optimize existing unoptimized index?

Posted by Patrick Turcotte <pa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

>From my own experience, yes, you can.

You just have to reopen your index with a new IndexWriter (making sure you
don't use a constructor that will recreate it; from the javadoc, stay clear
of those with a boolean argument). Then call optimize() then close() on your
writer, it will be optimized for you.

I think you can also use Luke (google Luke Lucene) to do this.

In any cases, I suggest you backup your index before trying, just to be
sure.

Hope this helps.

Patrick

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
maureen tanuwidjaja wrote:

>   May I also ask wheter there is a way to use writer.optimize() without indexing the files from the beginning?
>
>   It took me about 17 hrs to finish building an unoptimized index(finish  when I call IndexWriter.close() ).I just wonder wheter this existing  index could be optimized...

You can always open a new IndexWriter on your index, do things like
addDocument, optimize, etc., and then close it.

There's no requirement that you do addDocument / optimize in a single
session of IndexWriter.

But do be careful not to pass "create = true" to IndexWriter.

The trunk (soon to be 2.1 release) version of Lucene has new
IndexWriter constructors that "create when needed, else append", see
here:

Mike