Posted to jmeter-dev@jakarta.apache.org by "BAZLEY, Sebastian" <Se...@london.sema.slb.com> on 2003/05/19 18:05:09 UTC

1.9 RC1 user paramter handling with StringFromFile

Unlike most (all ?) the other functions, StringFromFile (SFF) can return an
empty string.

This is handled OK when SFF is called directly by a sampler.

However if SFF is invoked via the User Parameter screen, a blank line in a
file results in ${varname} being returned as ${varname} rather than an empty
string.

... not a very serious bug.

This was tested with the 1.9 RC1 code

BTW, I have been unable to test it with the latest CVS code as User
Parameters don't seem to resolve any functions at present ...

--
The opinions expressed herein are my own, and are not necessarily endorsed
by my employer ...

Re: 1.9 RC1 user paramter handling with StringFromFile

Posted by ms...@apache.org.
I've fixed both these issues.  However, I did have to make a change to
JMeterVariables to let it return null values for non-existing variables (previously
it was returning blank strings if the variable didn't exist, which was causing a
problem).  This means that there might be code somewhere that is not
expecting a null value that breaks.  I looked and didn't find any, and the unit
tests all pass, but one never knows.

Hopefully, if there are any problems, a clever user will find it before the real
release.

-Mike

On 19 May 2003 at 17:05, BAZLEY, Sebastian wrote:

> Unlike most (all ?) the other functions, StringFromFile (SFF) can return an
> empty string.
>
> This is handled OK when SFF is called directly by a sampler.
>
> However if SFF is invoked via the User Parameter screen, a blank line in a
> file results in ${varname} being returned as ${varname} rather than an empty
> string.
>
> ... not a very serious bug.
>
> This was tested with the 1.9 RC1 code
>
> BTW, I have been unable to test it with the latest CVS code as User
> Parameters don't seem to resolve any functions at present ...
>
> --
> The opinions expressed herein are my own, and are not necessarily
endorsed
> by my employer ...

Michael Stover
mstover1@apache.org