Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> on 2017/07/01 08:01:29 UTC

vote to go to a TLP? (was: [VOTE] Graduate Apache DistributedLog as a subproject of Apache BookKeeper)

On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 10:25 AM, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org>
wrote:

> I have no idea why this is copying both public and private lists.

And I have no idea why this is a vote for the IPMC to conduct.

Can't Apache BookKeeper just move the code over, add some committers and
PMC members, and carry on?

Like... what? The IPMC will tell BK "you can't do that" ??

Cheers,
-g

Re: vote to go to a TLP? (was: [VOTE] Graduate Apache DistributedLog as a subproject of Apache BookKeeper)

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Jul 1, 2017 at 5:33 AM Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org> wrote:

> IPMC formally owns "Apache DistributedLog" until graduation. BookKeeper -
> or any project anywhere - would of course legally be allowed to fork the
> code under a different name. Graduation is more about the community
> practices, not so much the code.

No we don't.  It's actually not clear who owns the name "DistributedLog"
right now.  Shane may be able to answer that, but all marks are owned by
the ASF as a whole, the individual PMCs are responsible for enforcing the
naming used.

> Realistically IPMC won't block any such graduation into an existing ASF
> project who is accepting, but it should not be automatic, e.g. IPMC should
> oversee to ensure the new (sub)community is working in an Apache Way, that
> contributions are recognised and releases are IP clean.

Yep.  I would be shouting out if their last release was in bad shape, but
that isn't an issue.

> On 1 Jul 2017 9:01 am, "Greg Stein" <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 10:25 AM, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org>
> wrote:
>
> > I have no idea why this is copying both public and private lists.
> >

> And I have no idea why this is a vote for the IPMC to conduct.

I agree.  The sub-project graduation has an extra vote that's not really
required.  I feel a [NOTICE] is enough pre-vote and post vote.  We can add
comments like "make sure you do a PNS!" and "Your releases are a pain, make
them better in the future" but for all intents and purposes, this is BK's
problem.

However, with that said, they are following the currently written guide.
Others are free to make changes to the guide.

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.