Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Lars Huttar <la...@sil.org> on 2008/05/28 19:23:39 UTC

CASifying Cocoon apps?

Hello,
We are being asked to start using CAS
(http://www.ja-sig.org/products/cas/) for authentication for our
Cocoon-based intranet apps. We see real benefits to be had with CAS over
the current system, but we haven't been able to find evidence of anyone
else having integrated Cocoon with CAS. Has anybody done it? If so, what
did you use?

One promising thing we see is Container-Managed CAS for Tomcat
(http://www.soulwing.org/tomcat-cas.jsp). We run Cocoon under Tomcat, so
this may be a good option. However we would need to get help on how to
actually make it work. For example, I don't see how a Cocoon-based app
would find out the username of the current authenticated user, under
this arrangement.
So far we have been using Cocoon as our development framework, following
the claim that Cocoon can be used to build web apps "without
programming", and we have remained fairly ignorant of the Java servlet
spec and the details of Tomcat. So far we have managed to keep from
getting our hands dirty in any Java coding.

(FWIW, we're running Cocoon 2.1.7, although we see it as inevitable that
we will upgrade before long.)

Has anyone been using CAS with Cocoon?

Thanks,
Lars