Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Arrigo Marchiori <ar...@yahoo.it.INVALID> on 2021/10/14 17:08:25 UTC

API doc on web site [Was: Accessing the comment object (annotation) in Draw/Impress via API]

Hello,

On Wed, Oct 13, 2021 at 12:10:52AM +0200, Marcus wrote:

> Am 12.10.21 um 22:06 schrieb Arrigo Marchiori:
> >
> > On Mon, Oct 11, 2021 at 04:53:56PM +0200, Czesław Wolański wrote:
> >
> > > Recently a user on the English forum inquired how one can change the font
> > > size in a comment box in Draw [1].
> > > He was given the obvious workaround tip and then the discussion started on
> > > how to access the comment object via API.
> > > Though the AOO's IDL reference says nothing in this regard, it turned out
> > > the annotation can be handled
> > > programmatically (at least in OpenOffice Basic).
> > >
> > > Hence my questions:
> > > 1. Is the API in terms of annotations' handling fully operational?
> > > 2. Should the relevant AOO's IDL reference be amended?
> > > see:
> > > https://www.openoffice.org/api/docs/common/ref/com/sun/star/office/module-ix.html
> >
> > I guess that the "API documentation" is extracted from autodoc or
> > something like that... how can we update it on our web site? Are there
> > any scripts or procedures?
> >
> > Thank you in advance for any pointers,
>
> the API doc is (somehow) part of the website. And what you are looking for
> is maybe here:
>
> https://github.com/apache/openoffice-org/blob/main/part2/content/api/docs/common/ref/com/sun/star/office/module-ix.html

Thank you! That is what I meant.

Those pages should be generated by Autodoc, for what I understand.

Are there any scripts that do this? Or any policies on how and when to
update the API documentation?  For example, I would suggest that each
new release would be a good time to update the API.

Best regards,
--
Arrigo

RE: API doc on web site [Was: Accessing the comment object (annotation) in Draw/Impress via API]

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.

I assumed that 'API documentation' was meant, so all is well, no misunderstanding.

> I agree that changing the API is a ``big thing'', that we shall be
> very careful, and I understand Jörg's and Marcus' concern while
> reading my paragraph above!
>
> I suggest we update the _documentation_ whenever possible because

"whenever possible"?

-1

'whenever necessary'

+1

The difference between both things is a basic principle, e.g. in mechanical engineering (it is always worked as exactly as necessary, not as possible) as well as in programming, because one should not change any code (here documentation) if it is not necessary, because every change contains the risk of errors.

> IMHO
> that can be helpful for developers.

Well, I've been professionally developing macros and extensions for OpenOffice for close to 15 years and I caution against frivolously updating the API documentation via automated processes until we have proper QA.

Jörg

Re: API doc on web site [Was: Accessing the comment object (annotation) in Draw/Impress via API]

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 18.10.21 um 08:07 schrieb Arrigo Marchiori:

> replying to myself as a correction.
>
> On Thu, Oct 14, 2021 at 07:08:25PM +0200, Arrigo Marchiori wrote:
>
> [...]
>> Those pages should be generated by Autodoc, for what I understand.
>>
>> Are there any scripts that do this? Or any policies on how and when to
>> update the API documentation?  For example, I would suggest that each
>> new release would be a good time to update the API.
>
> I should have written "API documentation" instead of API. I apologize.

ah, that is changing the game. ;-)

> I agree that changing the API is a ``big thing'', that we shall be
> very careful, and I understand Jörg's and Marcus' concern while
> reading my paragraph above!
>
> I suggest we update the _documentation_ whenever possible because IMHO
> that can be helpful for developers.

The details can and should be discussed when it comes to updates. But in
general I agree.

> I hope I could clarify my proposal now.

Yes, thanks

Marcus

Re: API doc on web site [Was: Accessing the comment object (annotation) in Draw/Impress via API]

Posted by Arrigo Marchiori <ar...@yahoo.it.INVALID>.
Hello All,

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.
Hello Peter,

yes, exactly.

> But we can discuss this when we get near to a API Change. I
> think until
> then we have done some steps in respect of QA.

How do you come to this hope, so we can all see that there is no regulated QA for years? Basically there is no real QA since Raphael left the project.

That's just a description of the situation, because we lack enough volunteers to build up a really sufficient QA. But volunteers have to be motivated and for this we have to recognize performance and not admit people to the PMC according to personal preference (called alleged "merit"), but only according to performance.

For example, we should have discussed honestly and factually how it came to the release mikt the (so-called) 'Big Sur Bug', to improve our release procedures, that such gross errors no longer occur. But nothing happened.

'9 years as a top level project' ... well, I've been in the OO project for more than 16 years ...

Jörg

RE: API doc on web site [Was: Accessing the comment object (annotation) in Draw/Impress via API]

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.

OK, but what helps and your (or my) definition? We need a definition that everyone recognises, especially the PMC because they have the power to decide on releases.

But I repeat myself: your statements about major, minor and micro releases, and that API changes should only be made in major releases, make sense and are recognised (I think by everyone). So why should we want to violate them?

greetings,
Jörg

Re: API doc on web site [Was: Accessing the comment object (annotation) in Draw/Impress via API]

Posted by Peter Kovacs <pe...@apache.org>.

This is the Way! http://www.apache.org/theapacheway/index.html

RE: API doc on web site [Was: Accessing the comment object (annotation) in Draw/Impress via API]

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.

From: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Releases

That is the current policy. So well as long as compatible we could
Change the API with a minor Release. It seems I got the detail wrong.

All the best

Peter

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.
Hello Carl,

Posted by Carl Marcum <cm...@apache.org>.
Hi Jörg,

On 10/19/21 4:26 AM, Jörg Schmidt wrote:

> [...]

I very much agree.

Best regards,
Carl

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.

Posted by Carl Marcum <cm...@apache.org>.
Hi All,

On 10/17/21 5:17 PM, Peter Kovacs wrote:
> Hi Jörg,
>
> On 17.10.21 19:48, Jörg Schmidt wrote:
>> Hello Peter,

methods or things like that in a minor version change, any updates I
imagine would be to improve documentation of current API.
I don't see a problem with that and I think there is a lot of room for
improvement especially around examples and more description.

I have more concern around the website and SDK being out of sync if in
fact documentation changes have been made which I don't know whether
that's the case or not.
Maybe that's something we can look at making sure the website has the
latest copy.

Slightly off-topic is that the Java documentation doesn't include all of
the juh, jurt, and ridl classes like it could.
I've been able to generate them and packed into and archive during a
build but I haven't solved getting them into the packaging part.

Best regards,
Carl

Re: API doc on web site [Was: Accessing the comment object (annotation) in Draw/Impress via API]

Posted by Peter Kovacs <pe...@apache.org>.
Hi Jörg,

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.
Hello Peter,

And where is this process?
What I see is that we don't even have a regulated QA for the program. Why do you want to make more work for which quality assurance never has the time?

> I would not see documentation update as a blocker to a release thought.

Neither do I in the least, but that's not the point, it's the quality assurance of the API documentation.

Jörg

Re: API doc on web site [Was: Accessing the comment object (annotation) in Draw/Impress via API]

Posted by Peter Kovacs <pe...@apache.org>.
Hi Jörg,

I am not sure what you refer to. The documentation has no influence on
backward compatibility.

According to current rules for Version numbers we must bump the first
digit if we do an API change.

So for Version 5 we must provide a Documentation a Version 4
Documentation and a Version 5 Documentation.

I think even if Version 5 is backward compatible with Version 4, the
documentation should be per Main Version.

I am fighting that we stick to the rule. (Actually I whish we only
change the first Digit if we have an API change. Which is a clear signal
to anyone what he has to look out for.

Current rules have a loophole to bumb for a majore release for features.
Which I do not see the benefit in. But this is maybe a different discussion)

It would be beneficial if we update the documentation with each release,
allowing a process that the documentation improves.

I think that means at current release speed we update API Documentation
once / twice a year. Which should not be to much effort?

I would not see documentation update as a blocker to a release thought.
Maybe even not part on the Release itself. But I think it is smart

to have both process in sync.

I think Arrigos Idea is a good one.

All the best

Peter

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 15.10.21 um 10:15 schrieb Jörg Schmidt:
> [...]

please not really for each release. We should provide our users with a
stable API at least for the 4.1.x release branch. Maybe also for 4.x.y.

Marcus

RE: API doc on web site [Was: Accessing the comment object (annotation) in Draw/Impress via API]

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.