Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> on 2006/04/26 06:39:48 UTC

Tapestry 5 progress

I'm having a lot of fun with the tapestry5 code.

Back in January 2000, I spent almost two weeks getting Tapestry from
an idea to a lame "Hello World".  I had to do lots of work and learn
many things, including the SAX API, designing and implementing the
component specification hierarchy, designing and implementing the
component structure, all the reflective instantiation, the initial
primitive template parser, and so forth.

I think that time was well spent, it "injected energy" into Tapestry
that served it well for several years, giving it a powerful core that
was quite amenable to change and improvement.

I'm putting much more effort into the new code base, along with six
years of accumulated experience.  It feels like I'm winding it up like
a spring (no pun intended). It's exhilarating.

Right now, what I'm building looks more like an AOP system than a web
framework ... that'll come later. I need to catch up on Jesse's work
on the JSOnRenderer since those ideas should be folded in and
improved.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Jakarta Tapestry

Re: Tapestry 5 progress

Posted by "Brian K. Wallace" <br...@transmorphix.com>.

Re: Tapestry 5 progress

Posted by Geoff Longman <gl...@gmail.com>.
Well, I would be remiss if I didn't add the obligatory tool support whine.

Any progress on my ideas for project layout or is the work so far
restircted to runtime stuff so far?

Geoff

The Spindle guy. http://spindle.sf.net
Blog:                  http://jroller.com/page/glongman
Other interests:  http://www.squidoo.com/spaceelevator/

Re: Tapestry 5 progress

Posted by adasal <ad...@gmail.com>.
re: thread  Make validation errors appear before a form is submitted and
Tapestry 5
Just a couple of thoughts.
I have had a further conversation with gaz (c.f. the other thread. I work
with him, so that type of thing is possible -:)).
The problem that has been found is to do with the rendering of errors in the
validation (sub) framework - field tracking. Field tracking requires a
submit for it to be initialised.
My thoughts are not about the problem gaz has, but about the Tapestry
framework.
The error mechanisms would have to be further decoupled. No one would have
anticipated that this might be an issue to begin with, but maybe by finding
these things it is how frameworks evolve?
Would it be possible to treat the validation mechanisms as a completely
modular service?
Well, I imagine that by Howard developing using an AOP framework all of this
sort of thing is anticipated in one fell swoop? I already thought AOP was
good using hivemind 1.1, but can see that it can be pushed.
I just want to emphasise the usefulness of this re. error checking.
Actually, error checking and rules integration is becoming a fundamental
part of a more sophisticated app. I know it sounds like hot air, and I don't
have a working example, but it seems to me that more formal languages for
rules are going to be playing a part here as will the use of tags in some
form (maybe I will have Jesse on my side here?)
These more formal languages might control workflow, and, going back to the
original issue, workflow often has to do with error catching and exception
processing. So every little bit that makes it more feasible to implement
this in Tapestry moves Tapestry closer to this territory. IMO Tapestry is
highly suitable for integration with other open source solutions in this
area, but however it is done I anticipate it will be!
Adam

Re: Tapestry 5 progress

Posted by Fernando Padilla <fe...@alum.mit.edu>.
Alright, I apologize again, I guess the concept is a little convoluted,
but you'll have to have a little open mind, I think it works...

You will have to add another "render cycle".  Currently there are two
render cycles, Rewind and Render.  Essentially a render cycle walks
through the component tree allowing each component to do what needs to
be done during that cycle.  Currently there is:

1) rewind
   - have component tree absorb form parameters
2) render
   - render html from component tree

What we'll have to do is to add a cacheInfo cycle:

1) rewind
   - have component tree absorb form parameters
2) cacheInfo
   - get cacheInfo from component tree
3) render (unless cacheInfo says we don't need to)
   - render html from component tree

During the cacheInfo cycle we would simply interrogate each component to
give us its cacheInfo.  A Component could then:
    - not set any cacheInfo
       - stating that it defers to child components
    - set equivalent to do-not-cache ( expires=0, lastmod=0, etc )
       - this means that it's not cacheable
    - set appropriate lastmod/expires info
       - this of course depends on application logic....
    - something to remember is that at the lowest level is the .html file
       - so that would use the lastmod of the file itself

The framework would then just have to collect and aggregate this
information in some predictable way ( greatest lastmod, smallest expires
).. and voila.. we have lastmod/expires information for any part of the
component tree.. Then the framework could return a NOT_MODIFIED if the
lastmod matches, etc.... We could then put a HTTP-Cache in front of our
servlet somehow.

Of course the benefits are:
    - faster response
    - higher throughput
    - less CPU ( web, db )
    - less bandwidth ( to a slow client could mean alot! )
but:
    - lastmod must be less expensive/faster than a full render.
    - pages must not change too much..

And if you don't want the functionality, because it doesn't have the
desired ROI, then just turn off cacheInfo cycle.

Posted by an...@di.uoa.gr.

Re: Tapestry 5 progress

Posted by Fernando Padilla <fe...@alum.mit.edu>.
true.

Re: Tapestry 5 progress

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
What is "properly"?  That is, when a page is constructed by pulling
data out of some large collection of database entities and stateful
server-side properties, any of which may have changed between
timepoint A and timepoint B, how do you effectively and efficiently
determine that something is "out of date" at timepoint B?  It is not a
trivial problem to solve, it may be THE problem in server side web
development.

On 4/26/06, Fernando Padilla <fe...@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> I can't resist commenting on your "cache" feature :) :)
>
> just support lastModified and expires properly! :)  then you can simply
> put Squid in front of your server, or we can develop a basic
> SquidFilter. :) :)

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Re: Tapestry 5 progress

Re: Tapestry 5 progress

Posted by "Brian K. Wallace" <br...@transmorphix.com>.

This is what I'm thinking... :-D But I'm also thinking that it's a level
above Tapestry to "pull it all together". There's a difference between
"use this to build sites" and "use this to
build/manage/deploy/update/generate" sites. I'd like Tapestry itself to
continue to make the former easier/faster/better, but as an off-topic
I'm going to see what I can put together as far as the latter -
basically using Tapestry as its "back-end generator".

Re: Tapestry 5 progress

Posted by Geoff Longman <gl...@gmail.com>.
links of interest:

http://incubator.apache.org/felix/ - osgi impl currently in incubation

There also was some talk last fall about about harmony
(http://incubator.apache.org/harmony/) jumping on the osgi bandwagon
too but I'm unable to find any recent references.

Geoff

Re: Tapestry 5 progress

Posted by Geoff Longman <gl...@gmail.com>.

Re: Tapestry 5 progress

Posted by "Brian K. Wallace" <br...@transmorphix.com>.

RE: Tapestry 5 progress

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Re: Tapestry 5 progress

Posted by Geoff Longman <gl...@gmail.com>.
it's called osgi

Re: Tapestry 5 progress

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.

RE: Tapestry 5 progress

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
Oh, I see what you mean.  But, an application generator tool might have
these "plugins" registered with it so that it can ask the user what features
they want enabled ("do you want autowire enabled?").  Then, it'll splat the
appropriate jar files down in the /WEB-INF/lib directory of the generated
application.  Of course, we'd need a cool way to let them specify the
contributions without necessarily editing their hivemodule.xml file.

Posted by "Brian K. Wallace" <br...@transmorphix.com>.

RE: Tapestry 5 progress

Re: Tapestry 5 progress

Posted by "Brian K. Wallace" <br...@transmorphix.com>.

Re: Tapestry 5 progress

Posted by Geoff Longman <gl...@gmail.com>.

Re: Tapestry 5 progress

Posted by "Brian K. Wallace" <br...@transmorphix.com>.

RE: Tapestry 5 progress

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
It might be worth looking into OSCache for this.

Posted by "Brian K. Wallace" <br...@transmorphix.com>.

Re: Tapestry 5 progress

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
The basic AOP  infrastructure is coming along. I expect the rest to
ramp up pretty quickly once I get that in place, but we're still
talking months.  Maybe a useable beta by year's end.

I think I predicted a big performance boost for Tapestry 4 apps vs.
equivalent Tapestry 3 apps.  I believe the difference between 4 and 5
will be greater. In fact, I expect OGNL support to be an add on, and
the built-in code will be an improved version of tapestry-prop (from
Tapestry @ JavaForge).  I want Tapestry to be extremely high
performance, as one of its differentiators from JSF and Rails.

On 4/25/06, Brian K. Wallace <br...@transmorphix.com> wrote:

Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Jakarta Tapestry
Creator, Jakarta HiveMind

Re: Tapestry 5 progress

Posted by "Brian K. Wallace" <br...@transmorphix.com>.

Re: Tapestry 5 progress

Posted by Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com>.
Yeah, I think what you are doing is pretty awesome :) Hopefully I'll have a
lot more of the JSON / ajax rendering cycle stuff done once I get back from
this gig. (I plan on really focusing on this only now besides $$ work).

It looks really exciting. You are going to make the other frameworks look
like such a joke now comparatively. It almost doesn't seem fair ;) This is
definitely "the one" in my eyes. Doesn't get much better.