Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Kevin Jones <ke...@develop.com> on 2000/02/29 17:35:17 UTC

General Questions

I often see people discussing topics here that I either didn't now existed
in Tomcat, or I haven't seen documentation for. For example the security
stuff that's doc'ed in the 2.2 spec. and recently the JSP pre-compiler.

Is there a corresponding documentation project/site that documents what is
going on currently, what is in the various releases, what tools are
currently available from tomcat, any of the above :-)

I get fed up with seeing my name on this list asking stupid questions, when
I'm sure (I hope) that I can get the answers elsewhere!

Kevin Jones
DevelopMentor

Re: General Questions

Posted by Danno Ferrin <sh...@earthlink.net>.

Well, since Tomcat is still primarily in the formative stages the
documentation is a bit lacking and a lot of code "just happens," plus we
are close to a scheduled release so the focus is more on getting the
features done.

As for the "stupid" questions most of the "stupid" questions on this
list fall in the category of "I cannot read the developers minds, what
are they doing with this feature?" and "how would I do it now" type
questions.  The ones that get repeated tend to show up in the
FAQ-O-MATIC at the top of the FAQ page at
http://jakarta.apache.org/faq/faqindex.html (perhaps it could be changed
to make the faq-o-matic in H1 with the blink tag, but IE doesn't support
that non-standard tag anymore, can't say I miss it!)

There is a docs list at docs@jakarta.apache.org, but since most of the
people on jakarta are coders and not tech writers it doesn't get much
traffic.  Once feature parity is reached I would expect a documentation
push.

So please be patient while this project matures, and if you cannot read
anyone's mind just ask.

--Danno