Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Amareshwari Sriramadasu <am...@yahoo-inc.com> on 2009/02/02 05:00:46 UTC

Re: Hadoop Streaming Semantics

Which version of hadoop are you using?

You can directly use -inputformat
org.apache.hadoop.mapred.lib.NLineInputFormat for your streaming job.
You need not include it in your streaming jar.
-Amareshwari

Posted by Amareshwari Sriramadasu <am...@yahoo-inc.com>.
S D wrote:
> Thanks for your response. I'm using version 0.19.0 of Hadoop.
> I tried your suggestion. Here is the line I use to invoke Hadoop
>
> hadoop jar $HADOOP_HOME/contrib/streaming/hadoop-0.19.0-streaming.jar \\
>    -input /user/hadoop/hadoop-input/inputFile.txt \\
>    -output /user/hadoop/hadoop-output \\
>    -mapper map-script.sh \\
>    -file map-script.sh \\
>    -file additional-script.rb \\         # Called by map-script.sh
>    -file utils.rb \\
>    -file env.sh \\
>    -file aws-s3-credentials-file \\    # For permissions to use AWS::S3
>    -jobconf mapred.reduce.tasks=0 \\
>    -inputformat org.apache.hadoop.mapred.lib.NLineInputFormat
>
> Everything works fine if the -inputformat switch is not included but when I
> include it I get the following message:
>    ERROR streaming.StreamJob: Job not Successful!
> and a Runtime exception shows up in the jobtracker log:
>    PipeMapRed.waitOutputThreads(): subprocess failed with code 1
>
> My map functions read each line of the input file and create a directory
> (one for each line) on Hadoop (in our case S3 Native) in which corresponding
> data is produced and stored. The name of the created directories are based
> on the contents of the corresponding line. When I include the -inputformat
> line above I've noticed that instead of the directories I'm expecting (named
> after the data found in the input file), the directories are given seemingly
> arbitrary numeric names; e.g., when the input file contained four lines of
> data, the directories were named: 0, 273, 546 and 819.

LineRecordReader reads "line" as VALUE and the KEY is offset in the file.
Looks like your directories are getting named with KEY. But I don't  see
any reason for that, because it is working fine with TextInputFormat
(both TextInFormat and NLineInputFormat use LineRecordReader.)

-Amareshwari

Posted by S D <sd...@gmail.com>.