Posted to commons-dev@ws.apache.org by Benson Margulies <bi...@basistech.com> on 2007/11/12 15:11:41 UTC

Infoset and setRefName

Dear XmlSchema developers,

I wish to propose that commons-xml-schema take the attitude that the
data model is the value space of Xml Schema documents, not the lexical
space.

In XML Schema, xs:QName elements contain a full namespace reference as
their underlying data. The fact that the text domain can have an
unqualified name is just notation.

In working with XmlSchema on CXF, my experience is that I constantly
want the XmlSchema objects to be a representation of the value space,
not the lexical space, of XML Schema documents.

In this view, various APIs in XML schema could throw when presented with
manifestly impossible values. Or, some additional APIs could be added to
make additional checks. For example, all calls to setRefName could be
validated given an XmlSchemaCollection to validate them against.

Does this view meet with general approval?

--benson