Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Paul Russell <pa...@luminas.co.uk> on 2000/12/11 01:03:11 UTC

[C2] [Pooling] Proxies and target JDKs

Hi all,

Need to pick your brains. We've been talking off and on about
component pooling etc, and how to achieve it in Cocoon2. At the
moment, the components are retrieved from their pools, but they
are never returned, negating the usefulness of the pools (except
in the sitemap itself, where components are explicitly returned
by their ComponentHolders).

I have tried to implement this using SoftReferences to recover
the components when they aren't in use, and this doesn't appear
to work -- I'm not entirely sure why. Another option is to use
the Proxy architecture to dynamically build a component proxy
which automatically returns a component to the pool when it is
garbage collected. The trouble with this is that the proxy
architecture is only available in JDK1.3. I could write a new
implementation of the proxy architecture specifically for cocoon,
but this seems overkill if there's an easier way of achieving
it.

What do we think the target VM for Cocoon2 should be? JDK1.3 is
fairly prevelent these days, but I suspect (I've not checked
yet) it's not available for *BSD or Macintosh. Do we have ETAs
for these platforms? Can anyone think of an alternative way
to get the components back without moving away from the
ComponentManager architecture?

Paul.
--
Paul Russell                               <pa...@luminas.co.uk>
Luminas Ltd.

Re: [C2] [Pooling] Proxies and target JDKs

Posted by Thom May <th...@planetarytramp.net>.
* Paul Russell (paul@luminas.co.uk) wrote on Sweetmorn, the 49th of The Aftermath, 3166 :
> Hi all,
>
> What do we think the target VM for Cocoon2 should be? JDK1.3 is
> fairly prevelent these days, but I suspect (I've not checked
> yet) it's not available for *BSD or Macintosh. Do we have ETAs
> for these platforms?
To clear this up, to the best of my knowledge JDK 1.2 should be
released natively for *BSD soon, however it is possible - and
recommended - to use Linux binaries at the moment in emulation
mode. For the macintosh, i believe 1.2 is available but dodgy,
but I'm not sure. It seems like the best target _ought_ to be
1.2, as that seems to be fairly cross platform. I did however
note the other day that JRun3 suggests using a 1.3 JDK, and it
certainly *appears* that Tomcat4 is doing the same.
My £0.02...
-Thom

Re: Technical Writer

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org>.
"Robert S. Hines" wrote:

> Heya,
>      I have been ghosting this mailing list on and off for about four
> months. I would like to contribute, and I believe I can add the most value
> as a Tech Writer for now. However, I'm not quite sure where or how to add
> the most value.

Thank for the offering. Do you have any preferred version of Cocoon? 1 or 2?
Especially the Cocoon 2 is really lack good documentation!

>      Is there a currently a Documentation Lead that is organizing the
> effort, it seems relatively ad hoc at the moment. I would greatly appreciate
> some direction in the near term, and I have no problem taking on more
> responsibility and moving forward once placed on the path.

Oh, I've never tought about Documentation Lead in a Open Source project :) good
point. Would you like taking care of it? :

>      I have attached my resume in order to provide some immediate
> credentials, and to give you some idea of where my skills lie. I look
> forward to hearing from "someone" in the near term, as I would dearly love
> to contribute to this project.

Sorry, I'm using Linux and can't look at you Word doc :) but anyway there is no
need for credentials. If you can contribute that's far enough credential :)

Thanks

Giacomo

Technical Writer

Posted by "Robert S. Hines" <Ro...@jam.rr.com>.
Heya,
     I have been ghosting this mailing list on and off for about four
months. I would like to contribute, and I believe I can add the most value
as a Tech Writer for now. However, I'm not quite sure where or how to add
the most value.
     Is there a currently a Documentation Lead that is organizing the
effort, it seems relatively ad hoc at the moment. I would greatly appreciate
some direction in the near term, and I have no problem taking on more
responsibility and moving forward once placed on the path.
     I have attached my resume in order to provide some immediate
credentials, and to give you some idea of where my skills lie. I look
forward to hearing from "someone" in the near term, as I would dearly love
to contribute to this project.

Thanks,

Robert S. Hines