Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by "Rutledge, Aaron" <AR...@5prime.com> on 2002/08/14 14:17:54 UTC

Sub portals..me too

    I am glad I joined this list, because now I know that at least I am
not the only one with some of these problems.  I wish the project owners
would peruse this list from time-to-time.  I guess they are too busy
coding the newest release.  I think I have the same problem as Ashok.
    To be more specific...My problem is dynamically including new psml
files in new JSP templates.  It appears that jetspeed registers the name
of each psml as a named pane somewhere.  I have looked through all of
the configuration files and I haven't been able to find this.  It also
appears that panes are loaded with the tag <jetspeed:pane
name="panename" /> for the templates...I think.  At least that is how it
appears that the default.jsp loads the home pane (via the included
Home.jsp).  I have tried using this tag to call a different pane (is
pane a synonym for portal?), but it always loads the default pane.  My
goal is to create templates for different functional areas and have
these load the relevant panes. It would be cool if there was a tag that
allowed a developer to specify the psml file and the template together
for the desired output--kind of like you can specify an XML and XSL
together file with XTags.
     One issue that has bothered me a little is that Jetspeed is
completely designed around users/roles/groups when on many sites one
wishes to organize portals and templates around functionality.  It seems
that Jetspeed forces you to describe and reference portals in the
context of these users/groups rather than by functional area.  Maybe I
just haven't figured out how to do this yet.  Best regards, Aaron

BTW:  To the developers:  I can't believe you guys are developing two
different templating systems--Velocity and JSP.  Isn't this thing
complicated enough?  It would be awesome if instead of having two
template systems we had just one verbose set of JSP tags for describing
templates.

Velocity/JSP was: Sub portals..me too

Posted by Jan Grant <Ja...@bristol.ac.uk>.
On Wed, 14 Aug 2002, Rutledge, Aaron wrote:

> BTW:  To the developers:  I can't believe you guys are developing two
> different templating systems--Velocity and JSP.  Isn't this thing
> complicated enough?  It would be awesome if instead of having two
> template systems we had just one verbose set of JSP tags for describing
> templates.

I'm not a JS developer (well, I am, but a private one) but let me answer
this. Velocity is just another templating mechanism. If you don't want
to use it, then you're free to ignore it. I didn't think much of it (at
first) but having seen people use it for development, I'm coming around
to appreciating it.

If nothing else, once you've got the beans in place to successfully
support velocity users, you'll find that you've wound up with a
much more flexible framework for developing web views onto your app.

It's a kind of "suck it and see" thing - but if you don't have the time
or inclination, nobody's forcing you to suck anything :-)

jan

Talk is cheap: free, as in beer. As in Real Ale, not that Budweiser rubbish.

RE: Sub portals..me too

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
Recommend creating a new <jslink> custom tag to wrapper the JetspeedLink
class and committing it back. The JSP taglib is currently a little out of
date. I'll add that to the TODO list for the next release.

JetspeedLink gives you all the functionality to access psml files.

>      One issue that has bothered me a little is that Jetspeed is
> completely designed around users/roles/groups when on many sites one
> wishes to organize portals and templates around functionality.  It seems
> that Jetspeed forces you to describe and reference portals in the
> context of these users/groups rather than by functional area.  Maybe I
> just haven't figured out how to do this yet.  Best regards, Aaron

The profiler and psml managers, esp. the DB PSML manager, is currently
limited to supported these three categories of profile resources. You can
always write your own Profiler.

With the current system, I often describe my functionality in the context of
roles. It fits in nicely with securing access to these functions. For
instance, I may have a Account Manager role, and put all PSML resources for
features under that role, and protect the PSML files like this:

<portlets id="81000" xmlns="http://www.apache.org/2000/02/CVS">
    <security-ref parent="requires-accountMgr"/>

and in the security.xreg, define it as:

    <security-entry name="requires-accountMgr">
            <title>Account Manager</title>
            <description>Grant full access to Account Manager Role, read
access to Support Role.</description>
        <access action="*">
            <allow-if role="accountMgr"/>
        </access>