Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Ajay Garg <aj...@gmail.com> on 2013/08/09 17:57:30 UTC

[users@httpd] Query regarding performance-differences, in using a "servlet" VS "PHP module"

Hi all.

I was just doing some rudimentary research on what would be the best
solution to implement server-side operations of our webapp.
The "servlet" and "PHP" seem two widely used solutions.

However, there is one important thing that struck me.

Looking at http://www.tutorialspoint.com/servlets/servlets-life-cycle.htm,
it states that every new client-request to a servlet, spawns a new thread.
On the other hand, looking at
http://php.net/manual/en/internals2.structure.lifecycle.php, it states that
the Apache module MIGHT map different requests to a single process (with
the CGI model DEFINITELY using the one-process-per-request implementation).

Looking at the above, it seems that using Apache Tomcat to host a servlet,
is better than running a PHP module in Apache (as far as
resource-requirements are concerned at the server).

Is my understanding correct?

I will be grateful to any clearances on my doubts :)

Regards,
Ajay

Re: [users@httpd] Query regarding performance-differences, in using a "servlet" VS "PHP module"

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Aug 9, 2013 at 1:09 PM, Ajay Garg <aj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 9, 2013 at 10:32 PM, Ajay Garg <aj...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks Eric for the reply.
>>
>> So, is it possible to run PHP in Apache, with each client-request being
>> serviced in a different thread (and not a new-process-per-new-request)?
>> Because, it is a well known fact that a process is a much-higher
>

> Sorry, I meant a "much-heavier (resource-consumption wise)"

Running mod_php in a threaded webserver is out of favor, but it's
possible. You can also run a single-threaded webserver with PHP
embedded in it, or a pool of php processes waiting for fastcgi
connecitons. See php-fpm.

Re: [users@httpd] Query regarding performance-differences, in using a "servlet" VS "PHP module"

Posted by Ajay Garg <aj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ajay Garg <aj...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Eric for the reply.

So, is it possible to run PHP in Apache, with each client-request being
serviced in a different thread (and not a new-process-per-new-request)?
Because, it is a well known fact that a process is a much-higher entity

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.