Posted to general@gump.apache.org by Rodney Waldhoff <rw...@apache.org> on 2003/02/05 00:47:15 UTC

a javadoc generation question

After a couple of false starts (figuring out how to get the paths right
into gump), I recently was able to add a simple module (commons-functor)
to the gump build.

Everything seems to be working out just fine, with build reports [1],
generated jars [2], and even javadocs [3].  The only trouble is, the
gump-generated javadocs seem to include all my test classes (under
src/test) in additional to my "core" java code (under src/java).  For
example, see [4].  For the life of me, and I can't figure out why this is
happening. (In particular, it doesn't happen when I run "ant dist"
directly.)  Can anyone point me in the right direction?

On a somewhat related note, while I'm familiar with "ant gen", is there
anything else I fairly easily do to test a gump run on a specific
project?  For example, has anyone tried to make it possible to run a
pseudo-gump build, specifying the source JARs for dependencies directly in
some way, but running a given project build via gump?

Thanks in advance,
 - Rod

[1] <http://nagoya.apache.org/~rubys/gump/commons-functor.html>
[2] <http://gump.covalent.net/jars/latest/jakarta-commons-sandbox/commons-functor.jar>
[3] <http://nagoya.apache.org/gump/javadoc/jakarta-commons-sandbox/functor/target/dist/docs/api/>
[4] <http://nagoya.apache.org/gump/javadoc/jakarta-commons-sandbox/functor/target/dist/docs/api/org/apache/commons/functor/package-summary.html>

Re: a javadoc generation question

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.
Rodney Waldhoff wrote:
> After a couple of false starts (figuring out how to get the paths right
> into gump), I recently was able to add a simple module (commons-functor)
> to the gump build.
>
> Everything seems to be working out just fine, with build reports [1],
> generated jars [2], and even javadocs [3].  The only trouble is, the
> gump-generated javadocs seem to include all my test classes (under
> src/test) in additional to my "core" java code (under src/java).  For
> example, see [4].  For the life of me, and I can't figure out why this is
> happening. (In particular, it doesn't happen when I run "ant dist"
> directly.)  Can anyone point me in the right direction?
>
> On a somewhat related note, while I'm familiar with "ant gen", is there
> anything else I fairly easily do to test a gump run on a specific
> project?  For example, has anyone tried to make it possible to run a
> pseudo-gump build, specifying the source JARs for dependencies directly in
> some way, but running a given project build via gump?

I am going to give a number of answers.  Pick the one that you like best.

1) All Gump does is specify the JARs for dependencies, and invoke Ant.
Take a peek at the generated build.sh or build.bat.  Look for
":commons-functor" (in batch) or "$commons_functor" and look at the next
few lines.  The copy and make directories, then set up the classpath,
then changes directory, and then invokes ant.  Don't be afraid to modify
these lines as you can always regen.

2) "ant gen" uses the basedir and jardir specified in rubypad.xml.  If
you modify these and regen (or do a global replace in the generated
script), then you can build using your current directory structure.  You
can download all the jars you need at
http://gump.covalent.net/jars/latest/.  If you are not bandwidth
constrained, you may find it convenient to download alljars.zip.  (Note:
at the time I am sending this, alljars.zip has not yet been produced for
today.  This will be done shortly.  You can always go back to prior days)

3) I can create a user for you on gump.covalent.net where you can
directly manipulate a full installation.

> Thanks in advance,
>  - Rod

- Sam Ruby