Posted to rivet-dev@tcl.apache.org by "David N. Welton" <da...@dedasys.com> on 2003/01/20 07:04:18 UTC

sessions

Mulling over a few ideas on ways to do sessions...

It shouldn't be too hard to write the basic functionality - the real
trick is the back end.

*) It will have a pluggable API as far as the back end, so that if you
   have a real database available, you can just use that.  Maybe we
   could just create a 'dio' backend?

*) It will have url and cookie based systems.  URL based systems mean
   that we also need a command that 'fixes up' URL's to include the
   generated session number.

*) I don't think it should be too complex.

Other ideas?
--
David N. Welton
   Consulting: http://www.dedasys.com/

Re: sessions

Posted by ta...@tohoku.iij.ad.jp.
Hi, David.

> Other ideas?

How about expiration of old entries in database?

Thanks.
---
Taguchi,T.

Re: sessions

Posted by Ronnie Brunner <ro...@netcetera.ch>.
> Mulling over a few ideas on ways to do sessions...

You know what websh3 does (lot's of complicated things). The few
interesting things that I think are basic are:

creating sessions (creating session keys)

maintaining session (using query string or cookies)

keeping data (in cookie or locally.) incl. handling of data (get and
set methods as well as load and save)

Imho, timeout handling should be done by the application and not by the
frame work (easy to do and most of the time quite specific). Cleanup
of old (unused) session info as suggested in an other reply to your
mail should be done async (housekeeping batch stuff or similar) (also
only imho)

I think we overdid the configurability in websh3 (it's too complicated
to handle) but if you ask me about the important hooks for
configurability, I'd say:

- create new session id
- load data
- save data

would be valuable entry points. default implementations could provide
an increasing integer as session id and loading and saving in the file
system.

> *) I don't think it should be too complex.

Definitly important! Rather simple than incredibly flexible (that's
what I learned the hard way, by doing it too complicated)

Ronnie