Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by Reuven Nisser <rn...@era-massis.com> on 2006/03/31 10:44:34 UTC

Migration fro MSXML4

Hi All,

I have a big project using MSXML and I want to migrate to XERCES-C. I
already have low level XML classes and "talk" to the SDK and I only want
to replace their contents.

I found one major problem. In MSXML4, all nodes are released only when
all references to the document are gone.

For example:

1. Create a document.

2. Get the root element of the document.

3. Release the document ptr.

4. The root document is still valid, I can walk over all the XML using
it and I can even get the document ptr again using it.

In XERCES-C releasing the document ptr will invalidate all the nodes
owned by the document. It has certenly a performance advantage but I
will need to re-write the whole code to support it.

Any ideas? Am I missing anything?

Thanks, Reuven