Posted to repository@apache.org by Gabriele Columbro <ga...@apache.org> on 2011/02/28 15:45:41 UTC

Maven 1 repo (Java.net) proxy request on repository.apache.org

Hi guys,
I suppose this is the more appropriate list for this kind of request, sorry
if I'm mistaken and should write to infra@ directly.

At Chemistry (OpenCMIS) we're approaching our 1st TLP release and I was
doing some build/release clean up for the occasion.

Now, as per [1] we have a dependency on com.sun.xml.ws:jaxws-rt:jar:2.1.7,
which is available on the Java.net Maven 1 repo at java.net [2] but on on
their maven2 [3]. Now, since we'd like to build with Maven3 which removes
support for "legacy" repos, I was wondering what the best way to solve this
issue:

1. Depend on some 3rd party repo (like JBoss) which already hosts that lib
on Maven2 repo [4]
2. Ask for a proxy to http://download.java.net/maven/1/ be created in
repository.apache.org so we don't release with external repos in the POM
3. We are forced to change/upgrade jaxws-rt version :(((

Option 2 seems to me the "finest" one, but not sure if you guys agree :)

Thanks in advance for any suggestion / help,
Gab

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CMIS-322
[2] http://download.java.net/maven/1/com.sun.xml.ws/jars/
[3] http://download.java.net/maven/2/com/sun/xml/ws/jaxws-rt/
[4] http://repository.jboss.org/maven2/com/sun/xml/ws/jaxws-rt/2.1.7/

--
Eng. Gabriele Columbro
Open source and ECM Architect

Re: Maven 1 repo (Java.net) proxy request on repository.apache.org

Posted by Gabriele Columbro <co...@gmail.com>.
Hey Gary,
thanks for the quick response.

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 4:11 PM, Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Will you not have to upgrade eventually?

Quoting one of our devs [1]:

"Well, no, upgrading is not really an option. We are now using JAX-WS 2.1.7,
the last version of the 2.1.x series. It can be deployed by just dropping it
into the classpath. JAX-WS 2.2.x has to be deployed into an endorsed
directory. That would make the OpenCMIS deployment a pain (on the client and
the server) and in some environments impossible"

So I guess we should shoot for other options, at least for the next few
releases.

Thanks anyways for the comment!
Gab

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 1 March 2011 15:03, Gabriele Columbro <ga...@apache.org> wrote:
> Thanks for the tip Carlos, that'll religiously ensure I'm using central and
> central only ;)
>
> But better try it when Central is up again. I'm sure someone is already on
> it, but ATM I get:
>
>> rezion:~ mindthegab$ ping repo1.maven.org
>> PING repo1.maven.org (38.97.124.18): 56 data bytes
>> Request timeout for icmp_seq 0

Likewise for repo2.maven.org a few mins ago.

> First time I see central down BTW :(

Ditto - both are back again.

Posted by Gabriele Columbro <ga...@apache.org>.

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gabriele Columbro <ga...@apache.org>.
Hi guys,

Posted by Juven Xu <ju...@sonatype.com>.
yes, I think uploading a bundle is the best option here:
https://docs.sonatype.org/display/Repository/Uploading+3rd-party+Artifacts+to+Maven+Central

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 1:45 AM, Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 9:00 AM, Gabriele Columbro <ga...@apache.org>
> wrote:
> > Hi Carlos,
> > thanks for the prompt reply.
> >
> > On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 4:15 PM, Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Your dependencies should be all in the maven central repo. Request that
> it
> >> gets uploaded there.
> >
> > We actually did our first 0.x releases (still in incubation) with at
> least
> > one module depending on the legacy java.net repo.
> >
> > So are you suggesting us to hold the 1st TLP release and push for Oracle
> > decide and upload a relatively old jaxws version on their Maven 2 repo?
> (I'm
> > assuming it's already synced to Maven central)
>
> You can request it to be uploaded to central, given that Sun/Oracle
> are not willing to do it
> http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-central-repository-upload.html
>

> > BTW, is this a strict artifact requirement (e.g. legal) or best practice
> > suggestion (maybe something to add to [1]) ?
>
> It's a requirement for Maven central that all dependencies are in
> central. And a very good practice, given that central never change and
> external repos can disappear and your builds not be reproducible
>

> > Thanks a lot for the help!
> > Gab
> >
> > [1] http://www.apache.org/dev/publishing-maven-artifacts.html
> >

> > --
> > Eng. Gabriele Columbro
> > Open source and ECM Architect
> > Alfresco Ltd. - http://www.alfresco.com
> > http://twitter.com/#!/mindthegabz
> > "Keyboard not found.
> >  Press F1 to continue"

- Juven Xu

Re: Maven 1 repo (Java.net) proxy request on repository.apache.org

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gabriele Columbro <ga...@apache.org>.
Hi Carlos,

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.