Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by John Patterson <de...@hotmail.com> on 2004/07/22 16:36:33 UTC

Unnecesary scan with required terms

Hi,

I have been looking at how Lucene operates with queries where all terms are
required.  I expected that the algorithm would step through each term to
confirm that it did exist in the index and as soon as a clause is found that
does not occur, the search would be aborted.  As far as I can tell this does
not happen and the search continues on to find the frequencey of the other
terms even though no hits will be returned.

This occurs during the call to Query.weight() when the weightings are
calulated before terms are scored.

Is this correct?

Thanks,

John.