Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Slim Driss <dr...@usa.net> on 2000/03/06 16:38:31 UTC

Tomcat as service on Win NT4

Hi,
Is it possible to run Tomcat3.0 as service in Win NT platform?
Thank you,
--
Slim Driss
drissslim@usa.net

Re: Tomcat as service on Win NT4

Posted by James Duncan Davidson <ja...@eng.sun.com>.
> I would be willing to move this framework into production for inclusion
into
> the Tomcat project if the members felt it was a good idea.

+1 -- at least the idea of providing NT service code with Tomcat. I'm not
sure which of the options should be taken, and some of it is a license
matter with what we can include in the distro, but on general principle, it
is a good thing to provide this.

.duncan

RE: Tomcat as service on Win NT4

Posted by Don Pellegrino <do...@drexel.edu>.
I have written a basic C program to run Tomcat as a service on NT.  The code
and a binary are available on http://www.advok.com (although not exactly at
this moment due to my pathetic Bell Atlantic DSL service).  The C code is
very general and needs to be cleaned up for end users.  I need to write a
routine to use a path for the Tomcat batch files.  Currently it is hard
coded.  I plan on fixing up the code this weekend.

Also, there is a link to a very nicely done tool written in Delphi that does
the same thing and even has a taskbar icon for the service.

The C code is a modified version of the specs given by the Windows API
documentation for writing NT services so it is the cleanest technique for
handling services.  Since it is calling the batch file that is the current
authority for starting Tomcat there is no need to duplicate start-up
settings in another place and the shutdown is clean because again it
references the batch file.