Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Steve Jovanelly <SJ...@witness.com> on 2003/11/05 23:21:17 UTC

component addition to cocoon

I have a cocoon webapp (2.1.1) with the following dir structure (under
Tomcat)

webapp/
  WEB-INF/
  app1/
  app2/

My web-inf contains the main sitemap, cocoon.xconf, logkit.xconf and
cocoon.roles files.  I have sub-sitemaps under each app dir.  All this works
really well, but I have to put any app specific components, roles, logkit
setup up in the config files in the WEB-INF dir.  I would like to have the
configuration for each app in its directory.  More specifically, I would
like each app to have its own cocoon.xconf, logkit.xconf, and cocoon.roles
files.  Those files won't contain any cocoon general setup stuff, but only
local components and logkit conf for this app...kinda like the sitemap has
only the tranformers, readers, pipelines, etc...for the local application.

Thanks in advance,
Steve Jovanelly

Re: component addition to cocoon

Posted by Geoff Howard <co...@leverageweb.com>.
Steve Jovanelly wrote:

>I have a cocoon webapp (2.1.1) with the following dir structure (under
>Tomcat)
>
>webapp/
>  WEB-INF/
>  app1/
>  app2/
>
>My web-inf contains the main sitemap, cocoon.xconf, logkit.xconf and
>cocoon.roles files.  I have sub-sitemaps under each app dir.  All this works
>really well, but I have to put any app specific components, roles, logkit
>setup up in the config files in the WEB-INF dir.  I would like to have the
>configuration for each app in its directory.  More specifically, I would
>like each app to have its own cocoon.xconf, logkit.xconf, and cocoon.roles
>files.  Those files won't contain any cocoon general setup stuff, but only
>local components and logkit conf for this app...kinda like the sitemap has
>only the tranformers, readers, pipelines, etc...for the local application.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Steve Jovanelly

I don't think this is feasible with the 2.1 architecture.  What you seem
to be describing is "real blocks" (the term this concept has acquired to
distinguish it from the partial implementation which) made it in 2.1.  A
simplistic way of describing the difference is to say that in 2.1 blocks
are staticly defined at build time and in 2.2 blocks will be whole
deployable units.  You may be able to achieve something workable in 2.1
by leveraging parts of the existing build system either by direct or
conceptual reuse.  The wiki has some information which may help.  I
started working on a system like this for my own work but became too
excited about the vision of 2.2 to stand any more work on it.

Geoff