Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Zbarcea Hadrian <hz...@gmail.com> on 2011/08/24 18:14:33 UTC

[QUESTION] How big should a contribution be to require a code grant?

Sorry to ask here, but this gang has probably the most experience. We have a contribution in Camel (not a podling) [1] from an ASF committer: Stephen Gargan (sgargan). It is a piece of code that is not usable by itself, it's a Camel plugin/component, was ALv2 licensed all along, brings only one dependency on another ASF project (zookeeper), all is great. The thing is that the patch contains some 50 files, it's not really big, but not small either. The question is: should it require a code grant? There were components contributed in the past without a code grant, but they were smaller. The ASF policy [2] is not very clear on where to draw the line between patches and code donations. I'd think a code grant is not necessary in this case, but I am curious how wrong I am.

Advice highly appreciated,
Hadrian

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-2472
[2] http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/index.html

Re: [QUESTION] How big should a contribution be to require a code grant?

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
On Aug 24, 2011, at 9:14 AM, Zbarcea Hadrian wrote:

> Sorry to ask here, but this gang has probably the most experience. We have a contribution in Camel (not a podling) [1] from an ASF committer: Stephen Gargan (sgargan). It is a piece of code that is not usable by itself, it's a Camel plugin/component, was ALv2 licensed all along, brings only one dependency on another ASF project (zookeeper), all is great. The thing is that the patch contains some 50 files, it's not really big, but not small either. The question is: should it require a code grant? There were components contributed in the past without a code grant, but they were smaller. The ASF policy [2] is not very clear on where to draw the line between patches and code donations. I'd think a code grant is not necessary in this case, but I am curious how wrong I am.
>
> Advice highly appreciated,
> Hadrian
>
> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-2472
> [2] http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/index.html

I would just check it in and let the JIRA number in the checkin comment suffice as documentation.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards,
Alan

Re: [QUESTION] How big should a contribution be to require a code grant?

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
Legally I think that a tarball attached to a jira with the feather
checked is precisely the same as an svn commit. It all comes in under
the same paragraphs of the license and icla. I don't think an SGA is
relevant unless there is complexity in the provenance.

Re: [QUESTION] How big should a contribution be to require a code grant?

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 3:38 PM, Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 24, 2011 12:14:33 PM Zbarcea Hadrian wrote:
>> Sorry to ask here, but this gang has probably the most experience. We have a
>> contribution in Camel (not a podling) [1] from an ASF committer: Stephen
>> Gargan (sgargan). It is a piece of code that is not usable by itself, it's
>> a Camel plugin/component, was ALv2 licensed all along, brings only one
>> dependency on another ASF project (zookeeper), all is great. The thing is
>> that the patch contains some 50 files, it's not really big, but not small
>> either. The question is: should it require a code grant?...

> Since Stephen is already an ASF committer, one way to handle it is to have HIM
> commit it to the camel sandbox and thus it would be entered into SVN under his
> own ICLA/CCLA.   Then svn merge it over to trunk.   Definitely make sure it
> references the JIRA as an extra check.

In which case IIUC it's Stephen who takes responsibility for this, by
virtue of his iCLA saying he's legally entitled to grant a license to
the ASF. A software grant would protect him from people who might say
this was not the case later on.

-Bertrand

Re: [QUESTION] How big should a contribution be to require a code grant?

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Wednesday, August 24, 2011 12:14:33 PM Zbarcea Hadrian wrote:
> Sorry to ask here, but this gang has probably the most experience. We have a
> contribution in Camel (not a podling) [1] from an ASF committer: Stephen
> Gargan (sgargan). It is a piece of code that is not usable by itself, it's
> a Camel plugin/component, was ALv2 licensed all along, brings only one
> dependency on another ASF project (zookeeper), all is great. The thing is
> that the patch contains some 50 files, it's not really big, but not small
> either. The question is: should it require a code grant? There were
> components contributed in the past without a code grant, but they were
> smaller. The ASF policy [2] is not very clear on where to draw the line
> between patches and code donations. I'd think a code grant is not necessary
> in this case, but I am curious how wrong I am.

Since Stephen is already an ASF committer, one way to handle it is to have HIM
commit it to the camel sandbox and thus it would be entered into SVN under his
own ICLA/CCLA.   Then svn merge it over to trunk.   Definitely make sure it
references the JIRA as an extra check.

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp