Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Timo Walther <tw...@apache.org> on 2021/01/15 12:55:34 UTC

[DISCUSS] Dealing with deprecated and legacy code in Flink

Hi everyone,

I would like to start a discussion how we treat deprecated and legacy
code in Flink in the future. During the last years, our code base has
grown quite a bit and a couple of interfaces and components have been
reworked on the way.

I'm sure each component has a few legacy parts that are waiting for
removal. Apart from keeping outdated API around for a couple of releases
until users have updated their code, it is also often easier to just put
a @Deprecation annotation and postpone the actual change.

When looking at the current code, we have duplicated SQL planners,
duplicated APIs (DataSet/DataStream), duplicated source/sink interfaces,
outdated connectors (Elasticsearch 5?) and dependencies (Scala 2.11?).

I'm wondering whether we should come up with some legacy/deprecation
guidelines for the future.

Some examples:

- I could imagine new Flink-specific annotations for documenting (in
code) in which version an interface was deprecated and when the planned
removal should take place.
- Or guidelines that we drop a connector when the external project does
not maintain the version for 6 months etc.

Plannable removal dates should also help users to not be surprised when
a connector or Scala version is not supported anymore.

What do you think? I'm very happy to hear more opinions.

Regards,
Timo

Re: Re: [DISCUSS] Dealing with deprecated and legacy code in Flink

Posted by Khachatryan Roman <kh...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I think having two Deprecated annotations (Flink and Java) may be confusing.
One alternative is to combine standard annotation with mandatory Javadocs
tags (checked with checkstyle).
And starting from Java 9 it has "since" and "forRemoval" arguments.

Regards,
Roman

Posted by Timo Walther <tw...@apache.org>.
Hi everyone,

great to see all these responses. I'm happy to drive this effort. I will
try to summarize this discussion and look into how other projects are
handling this topic. A might need a couple days more for this. After
that we can discuss how we would like our guidlines to look like.

Thanks,
Timo

Posted by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Matthias Pohl <ma...@ververica.com>.