Posted to users@netbeans.apache.org by Emilio - Rareitor <ra...@outlook.com> on 2018/09/30 07:48:36 UTC

[netbeans] [JDK] Sudden inability to start netbeans on any platform

Hello,

I wanted to try the new JDK 11 on Windows 10 1803, so I downloaded the Oracle OpenJDK build, and changed the netbeans.conf line that sets the jdkhome variable. It did not work then, as the "Invalid jdkhome specified" message popup appeared, and then the "Cannot find Java 1.8 or higher" error message. I uninstalled the previous JDK (10) I was using before trying this.

This happens as well with the PATH  system variable modified to include the path to the jdk\bin folder, or when running the .exe file (32 or 64 bit) from cmd or pwsh with the --jdkhome <path> flag set to said \bin. Later on I tested with AdoptOpenJDK and Azul Zulu builds of JDK 10, and then installed Oracle's JAVA SE 10. None of these would allow me to run Netbeans 9 again.

The last thing I tried was to run a clean copy of the Netbeans 9 build, freshly downloaded from the Apache site, but there was no difference.

I'd appreciate any possible clarification of this issue, whether it might be the need to build a more up to date version of Netbeans, or some step in setting up the JDK environment I am skipping by mistake.

Thank you

E.G.C.

Re: [netbeans] [JDK] Sudden inability to start netbeans on any platform

Posted by Emilio - Rareitor <ra...@outlook.com>.
Hello again. Finally got it to work with JDK builds of 8, 10 and 11, so in the end it was probably something about the way I pointed Netbeans at the path.

Thanks

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.