Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Nathan Hartman <ha...@gmail.com> on 2022/11/04 16:06:30 UTC

[VOTE] Graduate Apache NuttX to TLP

Dear Apache Incubator Community,

I would like to call a VOTE to graduate Apache NuttX from the
Incubator to the status of Top-Level-Project (TLP).

The NuttX PPMC has held a community vote to graduate [1] and the vote
passed [2]. Following a community discussion [3] to draft our
resolution (see below) and secure a volunteer for Vice President of
Apache NuttX, and the gentle nudges we've been getting from our
mentors and the Incubator community to take this important step,

I am pleased to call this VOTE:

[ ] +1 Yes, Apache NuttX (Incubating) is ready to graduate from the
    Apache Incubator to the status of Top Level Project.

[ ] +0 No opinion.

[ ] -1 No, Apache NuttX (Incubating) is NOT ready to graduate (please
    state reason(s)).

This vote will remain open for at least 72 hours.

Some project highlights since incubation:
* Incubating for over 1000 days (since 2019-12-09)
* Website migrated to nuttx.apache.org
* Shipped 9 releases under the ASF Incubator
* Merged 8000 PRs across incubator-nuttx and incubator-nuttx-apps
* More than 1000 stars on GitHub
* More than 500 forks on GitHub
* More than 250 subscribers to dev@nuttx.apache.org
* In Top 10 Apache projects of 2021 by number of commits [4]
* 5 mentors
* 18 PPMC members
* 26 committers
* 75 ICLAs
* 2 CCLAs
* 21 SGAs
* 2 release managers
* 3 NuttX online workshops
* And much, much more

Resolution:

[[[

Establish the Apache NuttX Project

WHEREAS, the Board of Directors deems it to be in the best interests of
the Foundation and consistent with the Foundation's purpose to
establish a Project Management Committee charged with the creation and
maintenance of open-source software, for distribution at no charge to
the public, related to a mature, real-time embedded operating system
(RTOS).

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that a Project Management Committee
(PMC), to be known as the "Apache NuttX Project", be and hereby is
established pursuant to Bylaws of the Foundation; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the Apache NuttX Project be and hereby is responsible
for the creation and maintenance of software related to a mature, real-
time embedded operating system (RTOS); and be it further

RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache NuttX" be and
hereby is created, the person holding such office to serve at the
direction of the Board of Directors as the chair of the Apache NuttX
Project, and to have primary responsibility for management of the
projects within the scope of responsibility of the Apache NuttX
Project; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the persons listed immediately below be and hereby are
appointed to serve as the initial members of the Apache NuttX Project:

 * Abdelatif Guettouche   <ag...@apache.org>
 * Alan Carvalho de Assis <ac...@apache.org>
 * Alin Jerpelea          <je...@apache.org>
 * Anthony Merlino        <an...@apache.org>
 * Brennan Ashton         <bt...@apache.org>
 * David Sidrane          <da...@apache.org>
 * Duo Zhang              <zh...@apache.org>
 * Flavio Paiva Junqueira <fp...@apache.org>
 * Gregory Nutt           <gn...@apache.org>
 * Gustavo Henrique Nihei <gu...@apache.org>
 * Junping Du             <ju...@apache.org>
 * Justin Mclean          <jm...@apache.org>
 * Lup Yuen Lee           <lu...@apache.org>
 * Masayuki Ishikawa      <ma...@apache.org>
 * Mohammad Asif Siddiqui <as...@apache.org>
 * Nathan Hartman         <ha...@apache.org>
 * Sara Monteiro          <sa...@apache.org>
 * Xiang Xiao             <xi...@apache.org>

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Alin Jerpelea be
appointed to the office of Vice President, Apache NuttX, to serve in
accordance with and subject to the direction of the Board of Directors
and the Bylaws of the Foundation until death, resignation, retirement,
removal or disqualification, or until a successor is appointed; and be
it further

RESOLVED, that the Apache NuttX Project be and hereby is tasked with
the migration and rationalization of the Apache Incubator NuttX
podling; and be it further

RESOLVED, that all responsibilities pertaining to the Apache Incubator
NuttX podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator PMC are hereafter
discharged.

]]]

Meanwhile, let me express a big ***THANK YOU*** to everyone involved
for helping us get this far!

[1] [VOTE] Apache NuttX Community Graduation
    https://lists.apache.org/thread/r1tn6qstkqmhh52szy4j2bgnnydbjmx4

[2] [RESULT][VOTE] Apache NuttX Community Graduation
    https://lists.apache.org/thread/ss1dqyh8b80zlkq42cp5so4qth7z08q2

[3] [DISCUSS] NuttX graduation: Draft Resolution
    https://lists.apache.org/thread/f07lsqfhb9zc5cwbzw1ds4ltbxftsk7f

[4] https://thestack.technology/top-apache-projects-in-2021-from-superset-to-nuttx/

Thanks to everyone!

Cheers,
Nathan

Re: [VOTE] Graduate Apache NuttX to TLP

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
Sorry, I need to change my vote to -1.
I just discovered a brand issue we need to address before graduation.
It looks like the trademark of Nuttx[1] is still not transferred to ASF.
We need the trademark VP approval before starting the vote.
[1] https://nuttx.apache.org/docs/latest/introduction/trademarks.html

Willem Jiang

Twitter: willemjiang
Weibo: 姜宁willem

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Calvin Kirs <ki...@apache.org>.
Hi,
   +1 (binding), good luck:)

On Fri, Nov 11, 2022 at 3:02 PM Brennan Ashton
<ba...@brennanashton.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 6, 2022 at 7:24 PM Calvin Kirs <ki...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> > The website has some issues, please refer to [1].
> > [1]: https://whimsy.apache.org/pods/project/nuttx
> >

> Thanks again Calvin for calling this out, we have made the changes and
> all checks are now green!
>
> --Brennan

Best wishes!
CalvinKirs

Re: [VOTE] Graduate Apache NuttX to TLP

Posted by Brennan Ashton <ba...@brennanashton.com>.

Posted by Brennan Ashton <ba...@brennanashton.com>.
Thanks for calling this out, I'll get this resolved in the next couple of
days.

--Brennan

Posted by Calvin Kirs <ki...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Mon, Nov 7, 2022 at 10:38 AM 俊平堵 <ju...@apache.org> wrote:

> [...]
> > removal or disqualification, or until a successor is appointed; and be
> > it further
> >
> > RESOLVED, that the Apache NuttX Project be and hereby is tasked with
> > the migration and rationalization of the Apache Incubator NuttX
> > podling; and be it further
> >
> > RESOLVED, that all responsibilities pertaining to the Apache Incubator
> > NuttX podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator PMC are hereafter
> > discharged.
> >
> > ]]]
> >
> > Meanwhile, let me express a big ***THANK YOU*** to everyone involved
> > for helping us get this far!

> > [1] [VOTE] Apache NuttX Community Graduation
> >     https://lists.apache.org/thread/r1tn6qstkqmhh52szy4j2bgnnydbjmx4
> >
> > [2] [RESULT][VOTE] Apache NuttX Community Graduation
> >     https://lists.apache.org/thread/ss1dqyh8b80zlkq42cp5so4qth7z08q2
> >
> > [3] [DISCUSS] NuttX graduation: Draft Resolution

Best wishes!
CalvinKirs

Re: [VOTE] Graduate Apache NuttX to TLP

Posted by 俊平堵 <ju...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by "Alan C. Assis" <ac...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by "Alin.Jerpelea@sony.com" <Al...@sony.com>.
Thanks Nathan!

+1

//Alin

Posted by Brennan Ashton <ba...@brennanashton.com>.
Thanks Nathan!

Posted by Xiang Xiao <xi...@gmail.com>.
+1, Thanks Nathan.

Posted by Nathan Hartman <ha...@gmail.com>.
As the vote has been open for 7 days, I will now go ahead and close
this out with my own vote:

+1 (binding)

Thanks to everyone who participated! I will post the vote results shortly...

Cheers,
Nathan Hartman

Posted by "张铎(Duo Zhang)" <pa...@gmail.com>.
+1 binding